October 10, 2023

What is truth?

It was Mark Twain that said, “If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.” That works for personal issues, but what about unclear philosophical or spiritual stuff? Many folks think truth is relative, meaning anyone can decide what is true for them even if it is meaningless to others. This notion is often a response to biblical revelation. Those who think truth is relative and not absolute easily dismiss Scripture thinking its claims do not make it true.

This is a much too heady topic for a Tuesday morning. I need a practical word from the Lord for the day, not an argument about the meaning of truth. Relative in some minds or not, God declares that His truth stands the test of time and proves itself by its results. That works for me. Besides, what God says matches my experience. It works in life and grants peace of heart that stabilizes me in every situation. While lies might seem to do that, lies do not last. Besides, there is nothing I hate more than being lied to and feeling the inner uncertainty that lies produce.

With some short comments, this is what the Word of God says about truth:

The works of his hands are faithful and just; all his precepts are trustworthy; they are established forever and ever, to be performed with faithfulness and uprightness. (Psalm 111:7–8) (They work! Doing what God says produces the results He promises.)

Your righteousness is righteous forever, and your law is true . . . . But you are near, O Lord, and all your commandments are true . . . . The sum of your word is truth, and every one of your righteous rules endures forever. (from Psalm 119) (Truth lasts, lies don’t)

And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you. (John 14:16–17) (The Holy Spirit reveals truth to God’s people that are otherwise hidden.)

When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. (John 16:13) (Prophecy comes to pass. Prophets of God had to be 100% right or were not considered prophets, so they can be relied on.)

Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. (John 17:17) (Truth sets God’s people apart from the rest of the world and marks them as God’s people.)

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. (Romans 1:18) (Those who block or hide truth will face God’s wrath.)

And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life. (1 John 5:20) (Jesus opens our hearts to truth for He is truth personified!)

Jesus said, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6)

This incredible statement is my measuring stick for truth. Does what I hear and think fit with the life and nature of Jesus Christ? If not, then I can challenge it.

One example: last week I read part of a book that said the human will of a Christian is totally aligned with the Spirit of God. That didn’t sound true. Measuring it by Jesus, He said, “Not my will but thine be done.” His words cast a shadow on that definition that says my will is never in conflict with God’s Spirit. The will of Jesus was not sinful rebellion like mine can be, yet He did suggest it was distinct from the Father’s will.

PRAY: Jesus, You protect me from subtle lies and blatant lies. I’m thankful. Being lied to is the ultimate insult, the source of all confusion, stress and sin. Yet it drives me to know the truth, to know You in depth and to listen for Your voice that continually tells me, “This is the way; walk in it” and blesses me when I listen. Even when You are silent, You tell me You never leave me. If I didn’t believe that to be true, then the sense of being abandoned would drive me away, ruin my faith, and put me in despair. I’m so glad that You are the Truth and if something does not match You, I know it is not worth listening to or acting on.

PONDER: The power of God is revealed in His Word. Guard my heart by remembering and thinking about what is true. Do not let falsehood trick me or teach me and rob me of the freedom I have in Christ. I know the truth (Jesus) and the truth (Jesus) sets me free from all lies and slavery to sin. (John 8:32)

 

 

No comments: