October 19, 2023

God makes wise the simple . . .

 

God’s ways are not our ways. I used to look down on people with low IQ (this is a polite way to say it) and God had to show me how wrong I was. He started with these verses:

For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. (1 Corinthians 1:26–29)

At first this felt like a slap in the face, however He kept verifying this truth:

Behold, I will again do wonderful things with this people, with wonder upon wonder; and the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the discernment of their discerning men shall be hidden.” (Isaiah 29:14)

Jesus declared, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children.” (Matthew 11:25)

I began to realize that what I knew about God was solely due to His revelation of Himself and had nothing to do with my so-called IQ. He says:

The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple . . .  (Psalm 19:7)

Even the disciples who experienced Jesus and walked with Him realized that His Word to them was more powerful and confirming that what they had experienced of Him!

For we did not follow cleverly devised myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. For when he received honor and glory from God the Father, and the voice was borne to him by the Majestic Glory, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased,” we ourselves heard this very voice borne from heaven, for we were with him on the holy mountain. And we have the prophetic word more fully confirmed, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts, knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation. For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit. (2 Peter 1:16–21, italics mine)

This truth was also presented to two disciples on the Emmaus Road. Jesus prevented them from recognizing Him, “And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself” (Luke 24:27) showing how their faith and ministry needed to be based on Scripture, not merely on their firsthand experiences, no matter how profound those experiences may have been.

God’s Word makes the simple wise. It teaches undiscerning, ignorant, and gullible people profound truth from God applies to their lives and gives skill in godly living. As the psalmist wrote and as the Apostle Paul and others prayed:

Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies, for it is ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers, for your testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the aged, for I keep your precepts. (Psalm 119:98–100)

And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him: bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; (Colossians 1:9–10)

PRAY: Jesus, You tell us to humble ourselves. These truths are humbling and help me “not to think of myself more highly than I ought to think, but to think with sober judgment” and every gift and ability I have is from You. Each day calls for wisdom and I’m glad that when I lack wisdom, I can ask You and You “give generously to all without reproach, and it will be given” to me — through Your Word and by the power of the Holy Spirit. (James 1:5) I’m very thankful.

PONDER Luke 24:13–35, noting the difference between how the disciples’ ‘wisdom’ interpreted things and how Jesus showed them the truth of what had happened.

 

 

No comments: