October 15, 2023

The Bible is a work of nonfiction . . .

 

Storytellers fall into two camps. Some are concerned that every fact is correct. Others are convinced that the story needs embellishment to be more interesting. The second group don’t seem to mind the first, but the first group often label the embellishers as grandstanding liars.

This helps to understand two biblical terms. Yesterday’s word was inerrancy, meaning that every single word in Scripture is true in the original documents. Some translations may miss the exact meaning of some words or verses, but the Bible can be relied on as true in all that it says.

The other term is infallibility. It refers to the truth of God’s Word as a whole. There is no embellishing even in the poetry of the Psalms or the vivid use of metaphors and other figures of speech used to illustrate spiritual realities.

Both terms are about the character of God. He is not messing around with exaggerated or untruthful language to impress us. What He says is true to His character; He is holy, righteous, and wants His very best for those who trust Him. He means what He says and says what He means — and those words reflect who He is.

The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple; the precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes; the fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; the rules of the Lord are true, and righteous altogether. (Psalm 19:7–9)

God’s Word is like that because God does not lie: “The sum of your word is truth, and every one of your righteous rules endures forever” (Psalm 119:160) and His “law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good.” (Romans 7:12)

Some Christians divide the OT with its law from the NT of grace, thinking that the law of God is no longer an issue because we live under the freedom of grace. However, Jesus said otherwise:

Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17–18)

Instead of abandoning the OT, it can be read as instruction for how to live now that Jesus has come and made forgiveness and eternal life available. As the NT says,

For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. (Romans 15:4)

Pushing the OT aside means losing much of who God is and what He is like, His holiness and His determined love for His people. It also casts doubt on the full infallibility of Scripture. If the OT is useless, how can the NT have any value? Trusting the Word of God means believing God will not deceive or give counsel that will later prove to be in error. The principles of the OT are still true today and are the principles that mark the life of someone who trusts the Lord and has been transformed by His grace.

Confirm to your servant your promise, that you may be feared. Turn away the reproach that I dread, for your rules are good. Behold, I long for your precepts; in your righteousness give me life! Let your steadfast love come to me, O Lord, your salvation according to your promise; then shall I have an answer for him who taunts me, for I trust in your word. And take not the word of truth utterly out of my mouth, for my hope is in your rules. I will keep your law continually, forever and ever, and I shall walk in a wide place, for I have sought your precepts. I will also speak of your testimonies before kings and shall not be put to shame, for I find my delight in your commandments, which I love. (Psalm 119:38–47)

PRAY: Jesus, the Bible enables me to see that from the creation of the world through all Your interactions with a disobedient Israel to the NT wonder that You came to die for my sin, I gain great faith that what You say is true and totally reliable, written to instruct my decisions and actions, and to give me assurance that You are just exactly as Your book reveals You to be!

PONDER: Psalm 119:165 as a reminder and proof of the infallibility of God’s Word. It says: “Great peace have those who love your law; nothing can make them stumble.”

 

No comments: