October 17, 2023

God has the answers . . .

 

Because the essence of sin is “going our own way” rather than living God’s way, and since all are sinners, we can fall into the idea that our problems can be solved by us or an ‘expert’ or advisor, and the Bible is not sufficient for many things.

Coming from a person who is learning to pray about everything, I’m finding that God is my sufficiency, and His Word tells me why and how. Relying on Him 100% is not easy though. I aced it through school, two degrees, and many problems so it is easy to trust myself, but God says:

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones. (Proverbs 3:5–8)

In this passage, relying on God instead of myself is even related to physical health. Other passages show that trusting the Lord can mean success and prosperity, and even if it doesn’t, that trust changes our lives in many ways. It brings joy in trials and gives us access to incredible wisdom.

The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. (Galatians 5:22–24)

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. (James 1:2–5)

King David of Israel knew the reality that God’s ways are sufficient for every issue of life. This is what he said, and I believe it too:

The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple; the precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes; the fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; the rules of the Lord are true, and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, even much fine gold, sweeter also than honey and drippings of the honeycomb. Moreover, by them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward. Who can discern his errors? Declare me innocent from hidden faults. Keep back your servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me! Then I shall be blameless, and innocent of great transgression. Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer. (Psalm 19:7–14)

David may not have prayed for parking places like I sometimes do but he knew the sufficiency of God’s Word and His ways. I can pray with confidence for His help because I know who He is by reading His book. I can also pray for others, like those suffering in current conflicts in far-away places, or for His workers on the other side of the world, even those I only know by their requests. I know this because the Bible tells me so.

I also know that God’s Word keeps my heart in peace, even when everything around me is chaos. I cannot do that my myself. I need Jesus and I need His Book.

PRAY: Jesus, for some people, money, a strong ethic, a high IQ or a winning personality might get them where they want to go, but there are no blessings like those You give when I live for You and do what You ask. Your Word is perfect and certain, helping me through every struggle or challenge of life. Help me always appreciate and rest fully in Your gracious provision.

PONDER: List the terms from Psalm 19:1–14 that describe God’s word and think about the way He uses it in my life. Be deeply thankful for all that the Bible does for me.

 

 

No comments: