October 26, 2023

The cost of obedience

 

Today’s devotional is about praise to God for those who instruct others in the Word of God and who set a good example. I’m thankful for my mentors. My mother and grandmother were believers, yet this task fell to an older woman in the local church who gave me study assignments and helped me understand the basics. After we moved from there, God sent many more mentors. Looking back, I realize my biggest problem was not gleaning crucial information but putting it into practice.

Paul knew this could happen. He wrote two reminders to Timothy:

I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well. (2 Timothy 1:5)

But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. (2 Timothy 3:14–15)

This young man had a sincere faith yet was timid and perhaps uncertain at times. Paul encouraged him to not only believe but do what he learned. Some of his instructions:

Therefore, do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began. (2 Timothy 1:8–9)

Follow the pattern of the sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you. (2 Timothy 1:13–14)

You then, my child, be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus, and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men, who will be able to teach others also. Share in suffering as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. (2 Timothy 2:1–3)

Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth. But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness. (2 Timothy 2:15–16)

Flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart. Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil. (2 Timothy 2:22–24)

Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil people and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it. (2 Timothy 3:12–14)

Perhaps my problem with application is not a lack of personal mentors but that old bugaboo of thinking that because I knew the truths, knowing them was sufficient. That was sometimes intimidating to those who otherwise could have challenged my lack of obedience.

Yet God is faithful. In these past few years, we are in a local church that has many godly people setting fantastic examples of doing God’s will. I praise God for those who instruct and encourage righteousness, who teach others about Christ and how to live for Him. I’m also thankful that God can use anyone to be a mentor. One of my favorites was a young woman with several children who expressed the love of God in remarkable ways. Another is a young pastor who freely shares his struggle to obey what he knows and how God guides him in creative obedience.

PRAY: Jesus, today’s reading takes me to Hannah who was barren and prayed for a son, vowing to give him to You — and she did have a son and did give him to the current priest to be trained to serve. She then praised You for Your great power and wisdom, setting an example of what it means to let go of what is precious that others might grow in the grace and knowledge of You. (1 Samuel 1:1–2:10)

PONDER: Think about what obedience challenges me to give up. Broadly, it could be time, money, reputation, all sorts of things that would bring glory to Jesus and certainly not to me. Hannah gave up the child that she dearly longed for after God gave him to her. How does her example apply to my life?

 

 

No comments: