October 16, 2023

Who is my slave-driver?

 

Our street is a U-shaped curve with both ends arriving at the same major road. One way is quicker because the other has a playground zone with a long stretch of reduced speed. Does that mean traffic slows down? Everyone knows that many drivers ignore a posted speed limit. What is the point of having a law if people do not obey it?

MacArthur says the same thing about the Word of God. We might assume that those who affirm the inspiration, inerrancy, and infallibility of God’s Word would automatically submit to its authority, but that isn’t always the case. Even those who hold to a high view of Scripture sometimes fail to obey it.

Hear, O heavens, and give ear, O earth; for the Lord has spoken: “Children have I reared and brought up, but they have rebelled against me. (Isaiah 1:2)

The NT goes into this with more detail:

But if you call yourself a Jew and rely on the law and boast in God and know his will and approve what is excellent, because you are instructed from the law; and if you are sure that you yourself are a guide to the blind, a light to those who are in darkness, an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of children, having in the law the embodiment of knowledge and truth— you then who teach others, do you not teach yourself? While you preach against stealing, do you steal? You who say that one must not commit adultery, do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples? You who boast in the law dishonor God by breaking the law. For, as it is written, “The name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.” (Romans 2:17–24)

This condemnation is much like our society in which the Lord is ridiculed or ignored because of the sins of His people. It is said that Christians are the only Bible some will ever read but if they see us ignoring what God says, how easily this results in reasoning: ‘If they can do as they please, then so can I.’ God is aware so He says:

Keep your conduct among the Gentiles honorable, so that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation. (1 Peter 2:12)

The NT also tells me that the OT disobedience of the Jews “took place as examples for us, that we might not desire evil as they did” and “they were written down for our instruction, on whom the end of the ages has come. Therefore, let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall.”

In other words, just because the car ahead of me ignores the traffic rules does not ensure that I will avoid getting a speeding ticket if I do it. Right after the above admonition, the NT says:

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. (1 Corinthians 10:1–13)

God did not give me new life in Christ so I could be free to do whatever I please. That way of life is slavery to an ignorant and foolish taskmaster — me. If nothing else, God has taught me that I am oblivious to godly living apart from His instruction and enablement. His Word is clear and knowing it is like knowing the speed limit — which is totally useless unless I take my foot off the gas.

PRAY: Jesus, right away I can think of areas where I know what to do and do not do it. You invite me to greater prayer — and I can always find something else to do. You nudge me to call the shut-ins and needy folks in my life, and I easily think of reasons why this is not a suitable time. I sometimes procrastinate regarding the important things and instead do what gives me pleasure. I have no chapter and verses regarding my to-do list, but Your Word is loud and clear about listening and obeying Your voice. These things I confess.

PONDER: Yesterday I heard John Piper say that we may mean well, but without planning a time to pray, the chores of the day will distract us until the day is spent and the time has gone. I need to plan my days better than I do, not let my to-do list rob me of the most important things.

 

 

No comments: