October 23, 2023

Laying Down the Law?

I woke up thinking about rules. My role in a non-profit organization is that of governance, meaning I’m supposed to make sure everything is done according to their rules. I keep telling them they picked the wrong person. I’m not interested in “do not do . . .” rules as much as “do this” statements that enable the membership to be creative in their duties.

This is biblical. Even the OT with all its laws and commandments has many positive ‘rules’ about how to behave. When Jesus said, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.” (Matthew 22:37–40) He was giving those who heard Him the freedom to express the love of God and others in varying ways. Love is not necessarily about “Do not cook on the Sabbath” or “Speak softly to the elderly.”

Of course, “Do not murder” and “Do not steal” is part of God’s law of love, yet so are many other things. The Jewish religious leaders came up with more than six hundred more rules, putting a heavy burden on the people. I look at the thick binder of bylaws, policies, and procedures and hear a new rule formed at almost every meeting and feel that same kind of burden. Not only that, the negative do-not rules are still broken. The people need a different goal than being told what to avoid.

Of course, the gospel is the answer for righteous living and a book of “do this” rules will not make anyone godly, yet I see a difference between the appeal to do right and warnings to avoid doing wrong.

The psalms are full of both, yet mostly encourage readers to see that God’s commands are good for them, not a list of rules hanging over their heads. David wrote this: “The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; the rules of the Lord are true, and righteous altogether.” (Psalm 19:9) He wanted readers to remember that God’s rules are not lies, nor are they written to lead them into sin. Here are more descriptions of how the writer considered God’s ‘rules’ as good:

Forever, O Lord, your word is firmly fixed in the heavens. (Psalm 119:89)

Therefore, I consider all your precepts to be right; I hate every false way. (Psalm 119:128)

Righteous are you, O Lord, and right are your rules. You have appointed your testimonies in righteousness and in all faithfulness. (Psalm 119:137–138)

Your righteousness is righteous forever, and your law is true. (Psalm 119:142)

The sum of your word is truth, and every one of your righteous rules endures forever. (Psalm 119:160)

While I would like to see the non-profit group change their laws and rules into more positive statements, I also realize that a truth about spiritual ‘rule’ may also apply to these by-laws and procedures. Jesus was talking to unregenerate people when He said this:

Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word. You are of your father the devil … [who] does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature; for he is a liar, and the father of lies. But because I speak the truth, you do not believe Me. … He who is of God hears the words of God; for this reason, you do not hear them, because you are not of God.” (John 8:43–47)

My pride knows that it is easy to be bound up in that “I am right” mode to the point that righteousness cannot be seen for what it is, and being positive is not helpful if motivated by catering to others, or giving them license to do whatever they please. To suggest a change in how ‘rules’ are worded may offend whoever worded them and cause more problems than it solves.

PRAY: Jesus, I just glanced at my open Bible and read this: Redeem me from man’s oppression, that I may keep your precepts. Make your face shine upon your servant, and teach me your statutes. My eyes shed streams of tears because people do not keep your law. (Psalm 119:134–136) Loving You and loving others is not as easy as writing the words. You know, as I also know, that misunderstandings happen. The enemy does not want anyone, both believers and non-believers, to hear and trust You, to love truth, to love and trust one another, or to abandon all selfish reasons for trying to control everything. He lies to keep us from living positively and in godly ways. I need Your great wisdom for the assignments that fall on me!

PONDER: Some people try to please all and end up pleasing no one. I don’t want to be a people-pleaser that puts God’s will in second place. He says He will give me words to say when I need them. With these thoughts and my responsibilities as the “governance” person, I’m praying Jesus will help me be like Him rather than like a Pharisee.

 

 

No comments: