October 22, 2023

Why Fear God?

 

It has required years of hard lessons to finally get it — I don’t know anything about ruling my own life. God’s lessons are mostly about the consequences and while this revelation produces worship and awe of Him, it also produces fear of self-rule and fear of God, not that He is going to hurt me but that He is going to teach me another hard lesson.

Many theologians would say that fear of God is the same as reverence or awe, yet it seems to include a bit of phobia — a small fear of what God could do if He wanted because I need hard lessons to give up my stubborn and sinful pride.

The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; the rules of the Lord are true, and righteous altogether. (Psalm 19:9)

This fear will endure, partly because it is a pure thing. I’m not to fear the lessons, but rejoice in them because God’s way is true and righteous as opposed to my way of false and foolishness. He wants the best for me and knows that I’m clueless. It will harm me, others, and lead me away from His best.

He gives reasons why I should fear my own way and never fear what others may do for He is sovereign. Nothing will happen to me that He cannot use for good. I can trust Him yet realize if I don’t do what He says, He has every right to let me experience the consequences to use whatever will teach me to obey Him. Even with trust, this respect is a bit scary!

He has things to say about fearing Him and His Word. The OT says this:

Let all the earth fear the Lord; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him! For he spoke, and it came to be; he commanded, and it stood firm. The Lord brings the counsel of the nations to nothing; he frustrates the plans of the peoples. The counsel of the Lord stands forever, the plans of his heart to all generations . . . . The king is not saved by his great army; a warrior is not delivered by his great strength. The war horse is a false hope for salvation, and by its great might it cannot rescue. Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear him, on those who hope in his steadfast love, that he may deliver their soul from death and keep them alive in famine. Our soul waits for the Lord; he is our help and our shield . . . . (Psalm 33:8–22)

Come, O children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the Lord. What man is there who desires life and loves many days, that he may see good? Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceit. Turn away from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it. (Psalm 34:11–14)

Jesus said: “Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell” (Matthew 10:28) and “His mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation.” (Luke 1:50)

Others say this fear is both awe and trembling respect:

Since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit, bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God. (2 Corinthians 7:1)

Look carefully then how you walk . . . the days are evil. Therefore, do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is . . . be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in psalms and hymns . . .  giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ. (Ephesians 5:15–21)

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. (Philippians 2:12–13)

This fear is like the little child who realizes she deserves a spanking, but hold tight to the hand of her daddy knowing that he will do the best thing — yet she still fears the correction he lovingly administers.

And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? “My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives.” It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? (Hebrews 12:5–7)

PRAY: Jesus, Your Word and Your way stands forever. Far better that I fear You and yield, “Not my will but your will be done.” Forgive and cleanse my stubborn pride for thinking otherwise.

PONDER: Consider what needs to change in my life because I both trust and fear the Lord. See Proverbs 3:5–7. Every part of life needs to reflect a distrust in my way and both fear and love for my Heavenly Father.

 

 

No comments: