October 8, 2023

Growing up

 

Theologians and mature Christians often point out stages in spiritual growth. Those recently saved are in a “honeymoon” phase, then as they grow, they begin to see the challenges and start to feel inadequate and helpless as they learn to rely on Christ for everything. These experiences are part of growing to be more like Jesus. John wrote a brief description comparing the process to physical growth:

I am writing to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I am writing to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one. I write to you, children, because you know the Father. I write to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the evil one. (1 John 2:13–14)

He summarizes those stages as the realities experienced: forgiveness, fellowship with God, and victory over the evil one. MacArthur suggests that mature spiritual fathers have a deep relationship with God that comes from prolonged time in prayer and the Word. He says many Christians struggle with spiritual defeat or recurring sins because they haven’t learned to apply Biblical principles to specific situations. This could stem from several things, yet Paul did say:

And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. (Philippians 1:6)

However, he also prayed for spiritual maturity:

And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God. (Philippians 1:9–11)

Jesus gave us a pattern of how to resist the enemy by quoting specific portions of Scripture that applied to specific temptations. (See Matthew 4:1–11). He knew the Word, believed it, and refused to compromise its principles setting a pattern for us to follow. I know that when I fall, it is because I’ve either forgotten or neglected to use Scripture to settle the issues tempting me.

This instruction is also in the OT. The psalmist wrote:

How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word. With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments! I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. (Psalm 119:9–11)

When the Lord came, He created a body of believers, a community for our growth described this way:

And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes. Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love. (Ephesians 4:11–16)

Spiritual growth happens through paying attention to the direction of others that God gives as teachers and examples, through seeking unity and the knowledge of Christ and desiring to be like Him. I’m to discern truth, speak truth in love, and deeply care and pray for unity in the Body of Christ so we are building up one another and growing as we each do what God assigns us to do. In other words, seek the will of God, do it whatever He asks and trusting Him with the results as I encourage others to do the same.

Obedience is vital to growing up in Christ: “Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.” (1 John 3:2–3)

PRAY: Jesus, I can see how loving You means always wanting to know You more, to discover Your thoughts and heart and to agree with You in every way, showing it by obedience. It also means to grow in an intense love for Your people and in the desire to be one with them so You are glorified. This means knowing Your Word and doing what it says. Increase my hunger for it and for being more like You.

PONDER: the simplicity of Psalm 119:11. I must read what You say and store those truths in my inmost being that I might not sin against You, but also so Your Word teaches me what I should be doing instead of living selfishly for my own glory.

 

 

No comments: