October 25, 2023

Warnings are also part of Grace

 

Yesterday God had me reading dozens of Bible verses about His grace. I’m amazed at how easily I fall into thinking I need to earn His favor, or that my thinking or actions will make Him frown, or even that He does not want the very best for me regardless of my ability to earn or deserve it.

Our spiritual enemy deceived Eve into sin by suggesting God did not want the best for her. He uses the same lie thousands of years later to keep human hearts from realizing God’s goodness. That is, when He warns us to stary away from certain things, some interpret that to mean He is a killjoy.

For me, too often I just go ahead on my own, totally forgetting that He is here with me, ready to guide me in everything that needs to be done and loves me no matter what I do or don’t do. This morning He adds this note to His words on grace that His warnings are also grace — because heeding what He says brings to me the very best in life, which is exactly what He wants for me. He says concerning His words: “Moreover, by them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.” (Psalm 19:11)

I remember my children needing warnings. Look before crossing the road. Don’t drink something that you don’t know what it is. Never sneak up on a horse from behind without letting it know you are there. Dozens of cautions, not to control them but to protect them.

Psalm 19:11 concludes its description of the sufficiency of Scripture by reminding readers that His warnings have immense value too. They are given to guard us against temptation, sin, error, foolishness, false teachers, and every other threat to our spiritual well-being, even our physical well-being.

Many of these warnings came through the prophets. For example, “So you (Ezekiel), son of man, I have made a watchman for the house of Israel. Whenever you hear a word from my mouth, you shall give them warning from me.” (Ezekiel 33:7)

The rejection of those warnings is another warning for us: “They despised his statutes and his covenant that he made with their fathers and the warnings that he gave them. They went after false idols and became false, and they followed the nations that were around them, concerning whom the Lord had commanded them that they should not do like them.” (2 Kings 17:15)

Like rebellious children, His people suffered the price of not listening. They figuratively walked out in traffic, actually worshiped demonic gods, and continued to do what seemed right to them only to fall into greater and increasing sin. They lost out on God’s best for them by not heeding the warnings.

In the NT, grace did not eliminated the need for those warnings. I know why; my own life is prone to forgetting, not paying attention, doing my own thing. This is why Paul wrote things like:

Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ. (Colossians 1:28)

Each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God; that no one transgress and wrong his brother in this matter, because the Lord is an avenger in all these things, as we told you beforehand and solemnly warned you. For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness. (1 Thessalonians 4:4–7)

I know that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; and from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things, to draw away the disciples after them. Therefore, be alert, remembering that for three years I did not cease night or day to admonish every one with tears. And now I commend you to God and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all those who are sanctified. (Acts 20:29–32)

Again, warnings are the words of a loving Father sheltering His dear children from harm. Being protected like this is His love in action, and the joy of being loved and cared for is most appreciated when I know I am in the center of His will. Indeed, that joy is the great reward of heeding His warnings.

PRAY: After David wrote this part of Psalm 19, he prayed words that I often pray and want to repeat again today: “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.” May Your words and Your thoughts be my words and thoughts today. You are the solid place where I stand, and my Redeemer when my feet slip. I’m so blessed by Your amazing grace.

PONDER: Make a list of the things I trip over and spend some time considering the warnings God gives to help me avoid falling into sin and neglect.

 

 

No comments: