September 11, 2023

Prisoners of war are not the enemy

 

Scripture is clear who is behind the people who persecute Christians; it is Satan. He lies, blinds people, and causes rebellion and conflict. God allows this for a reason, but I know that we fight a spiritual war with evil, and should not battle with other people. The Bible tells me:

For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. (Ephesians 6:12)

In his assault, this enemy uses an organized army of fallen angels said to be “rulers . . . authorities . . . powers over darkness . . . forces of evil in the heavenly places.” It isn’t a detailed description but indicates his power and that he is not the only one who goes at us with lies and a desire to destroy. As Jesus said of him:

. . . He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies. (John 8:44)

While those who reject Christ and God are unwitting prisoners of war, captured and mobilized by the enemy to accomplish his purposes, Christians can also be oblivious to Satan’s tactics. I’ve blamed people for the nasty things they do, forgetting that the enemy is always trying to motivate nastiness. If he is going to attack me and try to get all who love Christ to go against Him, it’s logical that he will use those who are already against the Lord to thwart the work and the witness of God’s people. We need to be alert to him and not “ignorant of his schemes.”

For me, this is important for my prayer life and for my relationships with unbelievers, especially those who ridicule faith and make life difficult for God’s people. I’m to be patient, realizing the source of their attitudes. Even though they are responsible for opening themselves up to deception by denying the truth, it is the Liar and Deceiver who fills their hearts with antagonism and animosity toward God and His people. I don’t want to add to that by being angry, bitter, or by retaliating in an ungodly way. Jesus reached out in love to me so that I can reach out to other sinners in love, asking Him to open their eyes and their hearts to the truth.

PRAY: Jesus, I’m thankful You remove spiritual blindness. You do that for me and You are doing it for others. I’ve many on my prayer list that need to see beyond Satan’s lies, not only concerning their behavior and need for You, but the wonder of who You are and the great love that You have for them — even though they are still in their sin (see Romans 5:8).

PONDER: Read Colossians 1:13 and 2 Corinthians 4:3–7 and worship Jesus for what He has done in my life and can do in the lives of those who do not yet believe.

 

 

No comments: