September 16, 2023

The Testimony of a Righteous Life

 

Yesterday I fell into a self-pity that robbed me of joy. I could blame constant pain but that pain didn’t get to me for the prior two weeks. I could also blame fatigue or a few other externals, but know enough about the devil’s strategy to realize I stopped listening to God and being thankful and agreed with that “you poor thing” yap that was not from the Lord.

This seems a small way to put off the breastplate of righteousness and expose myself to Satan’s accusations. But I suffered the consequences and lost the blessing of the Holy Spirit — joy that includes peace, love for others and the remaining spiritual fruit listed in the NT:

The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. (Galatians 5:22–23)

As soon as I confessed my self-focus the pain did not go away, but the joy came back. Today’s devotional reminded me that David’s sin (which seems much worse but was still an act of selfishness) also took away his joy. For this he prayed: “Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.” (Psalm 51:12) Confession didn’t remove the problem, but joy makes possible an ability to rise above problems. Such is the grace of God.

Another danger of disobedience is losing what I might gain as a reward in heaven. In speaking of getting cozy with false teachers, the NT says: “Watch yourselves, so that you may not lose what we have worked for, but may win a full reward.” (2 John 8) MacArthur believes rewards are various capacities for service in Heaven, meaning that great rewards mean great capacity to serve God. Neglecting righteousness and faithfulness in this life could affect what I will do for all eternity.

I don’t want sin and negligence to diminish my heavenly reward, whatever it might be, but failure to trust God and live for Him also affects my testimony and ability to glorify God here and now. As MacArthur says, if I am thinking or behaving unrighteously, I am violating my reason for existence. That sin might be what we call a big sin, but ‘little’ sins are just as damaging. Consider these:

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. (1 Corinthians 10:31)

In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. (Matthew 5:16)

Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul. Keep your conduct among the Gentiles honorable, so that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation. (1 Peter 2:11–12)

People who do not believe in Christ are spiritual blind to Him but they are not blind to the way Christians live and behave. I can easily give them an excuse to say, “If that is what it means to be a Christian, I’m not interested.” I seen this happen and do not want to be the cause of such excuses! As David prayed:

Let not those who hope in you be put to shame through me, O Lord God of hosts; let not those who seek you be brought to dishonor through me, O God of Israel. (Psalm 69:6)

Another bane of living for self and any kind of ‘me’ like running my own life is loss of a fruitful prayer connection with God. The Bible is clear on this:

Your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, and your sins have hidden his face from you so that he does not hear. (Isaiah 59:2)

You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions. (James 4:3)

Having others see my sinful selfishness is bad enough, but being alienated from the listening ear of God and blocking all the joy and goodness He has for me is terrible. Not only do I suffer loss, I’m also saying with my actions or lack of actions that I do not love Him and that I am more important to me than He is. That is such a lousy testimony.

PRAY: Lord Jesus, of course I want my righteousness to testify to Your saving and sanctifying grace. This battle against the enemy sometimes throws me to the floor feeling I am such a total failure. Yet even in that, You are quick to forgive. All You want from me is the humility to admit that I cannot live for You in my own strength — for I have none. Thank You for rescuing me always, no matter how foolishly forgetful and selfish I can be.

PONDER: Reread and put a print-out on the wall of 2 Corinthians 5:21 as a reminder of God’s marvelous grace.

 

 

No comments: