September 3, 2023

Resources for Victory

 

Today’s devotional begins with, “In Christ you have every resource necessary for spiritual victory.” However, after yesterday, I’m thinking “in Christ, I have resources for victory over everything.”

With some amusement, I’ve been imagining a newspaper story that begins with: “Eighty-one-year old woman tumbles down circular staircase at Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse and gets up smiling with only a few bruises. Her son thinks she moonlights as a stunt woman.”

Even though I’d now change ‘few’ to ‘several’, I’m still smiling. Jesus is my Savior from sin — including self-pity and a focus on my own comfort. So, I hurt. Is that any different than losing my car keys or dropping a bowl of stew inside the frig? Joy is not about external comforts.

Would I feel the same way if bones were broken, an ambulance called, and I was in a hospital bed? God knows, but I believe in the power of God to overcome a ‘poor me’ attitude just as He can overcome the obvious doubt and fears that the devil always tries to produce.

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. (Ephesians 6:10–11)

MacArthur explains that Satan opposes God and wants to prevent believers from glorifying Him by convincing them that he is either so strong we cannot defeat him, or so weak we can fight him in our own strength. However, when Jesus comes alongside instantly, He demonstrates that no matter what the enemy tries to do, He can rescue me:

For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. (2 Corinthians 10:4)

My resources alone cannot defeat a spiritual enemy or the power of the old nature to be self-centered, but Jesus can and this shouts the vital reason for being in Scripture and understanding what I have in Christ.

Ephesians 1 has an incredible list that includes: every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places; chosen in him before the foundation of the world; becoming holy and blameless before him; in love predestined for adoption according to the purpose of his will to the praise of his glorious grace; blessed in the Beloved; redemption through his blood; forgiveness of our trespasses; grace lavished wisdom and insight; knowing the mystery of his will and his plan to unite all things in him; faith to believe; sealed with the Holy Spirit; our inheritance guaranteed; ; all to the praise of his glory;  . . .  and the prayers of others for greater knowledge of Christ, enlightened to know our hope and the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints. (Ephesians 1:3–18) His grace adds:

According to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Ephesians 3:16–21)

Think of it — the people of God represent the power of God in this world — the same power that raised Christ from the dead, seated Him at the right hand of the Father, and subjected all things under His feet . . .  

Far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. And he put all things under his feet and gave him as head over all things to the church, which is his body, the fullness of him who fills all in all. (Ephesians 1:21–23)

Who can stand against the sovereignty of God? He tells me to “be strong in the Lord, and in the strength of His might” by putting on the armor He supplies: truth, righteousness, peace, faith, salvation, the written Word, and the privilege of prayer. No matter what the enemy does, even pushing old ladies down some stairs (it felt like that), I can remain focused on Jesus instead of the results of the devil’s efforts. Jesus does not want me to live anxiously and fearing Satan’s attacks or anything else, but keep my heart focused on Him and the resources He has given me.

PRAY: Jesus, I understand that spiritual warfare is anything that threatens to take away my trust in You. It can be events and people, inner attitudes, anything that seems like You have forgotten me or are not protecting or loving me. Keep me in Your Word and trusting You with all my heart.

PONDER: Read Matthew 4:1–11 and think how I can better use Scripture when Satan’s attacks tell me lies about who I am in Christ or about all that the Lord has done for or promised me.

 

 

No comments: