September 20, 2023

Guard Thoughts

That computer saying ‘garbage in, garbage out’ is sometimes applied to the human mind. If I watch X-rated movies, read garbage novels, listen to sorrowful music, and so on, my moods and behavior will be affected. God knows this and tells me:

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. (Philippians 4:8)

Satan knows it too. One of his tactics is to get my mind off what Christ has done and is doing for me, and think about negatives, like bad things that happen, injustice, impurities and  ugly stuff that is not worth the effort, and any of his lies about everything. He wants me complaining and looking at my failures with huge doubts that I am a Christian. This is why one piece of spiritual armor is a helmet: “Take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God . . . .” (Ephesians 6:17) Protect what goes on in my head!

The Roman soldier’s helmet was designed to deflect blows aimed at his head — especially the potentially lethal blow of a broadsword that could crush his skull. To protect us from Satan’s crushing blows, this piece of armor is vital lest we start thinking his way instead of relying on the Word of God.

But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation. (1 Thessalonians 5:8)

The helmet of salvation is described as “the hope of salvation” implying that Satan’s most powerful blows are directed at the believer’s assurance and security. As a new Christian, I struggled a bit with the idea that I was not a Christian because Satan tricked me into measuring myself by my failures. Later, he pushed into my head any concept that took me away from God’s promises.

However, God persisted to show me that I am secure in Christ. He used His Word to help me keep my head on straight with verses like these:

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. (John 10:27–28)

For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified. (Romans 8:29–30)

Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Hebrews 13:5)

He also used this logic: eternal life is eternal, meaning it has no ending and cannot be taken away. Also, my salvation was not based on my performance, thus my performance cannot change the fact of it. Repeatedly, the love of God assured me that I belong to Him. This security did not produce a silly ‘I can do whatever I want’ but a desire to be more like Christ, more like He called me to be. This is why I can say the enemy cannot rob me of the joy and assurance of knowing I belong to Christ. I might slide sideways now and then, but the Lord will never let me go. All discouragement and doubt are deflected by knowing I am secure in Christ. This is the point of wearing armor!

PRAY: Jesus, You are the eternal God who makes me eternally secure. You hold me in Your hand and declare I am part of Your Body. You also said that You keep all that the Father gave You. You live forever to intercede for me. Your salvation is complete, based on Your love and sacrifice. You died for me even when I was still a sinner, and You will finish what You started. One day I will stand before You face to face and be like You because that is Your promise to me. I praise You for this amazing eternal security!

PONDER: again John 6:37–40 and rejoice that my God has done this for me and for all His children.

 

 

No comments: