September 27, 2023

Don’t be a Drop-Out

 

When David’s men went to war and he stayed home, he got in trouble. Instead of fighting, he was tempted by gazing at a beautiful woman and eventually killing her husband and taking her as his wife.

The people of God are in a spiritual war. The ruler of this world spreads his lies and draws Christians away from prayer. Yesterday I stayed home from the battle. My foot was injured when I fell (September 1) and is not healing as it should. I’m behind in my commitment to make quilts for a particular refugee family. These and other thoughts and activities occupied my mind instead of prayer. The Spirit nagged a bit, but I ignored His nudges.

Today’s devotional contains these verses about being faithful in prayer — and God’s timing is right on target:

And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints— (Ephesians 6:17–18)

(Jesus said) Stay awake at all times, praying that you may have strength to escape all these things that are going to take place, and to stand before the Son of Man.” (Luke 21:36)

The apostles said, “we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.” (Acts 6:4) as did godly people like Cornelius even though he was not yet a Christian: “At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion of what was known as the Italian Cohort, a devout man who feared God with all his household, gave alms generously to the people, and prayed continually to God.” (Acts 10:1–2)

Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. (Romans 12:11–12)

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6–7)

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (1 Thessalonians 5:16–18)

I (Paul) desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling; likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control . . . .” (1 Timothy 2:8–9)

Jesus often went for extended periods of time alone to pray. Paul also prayed often . . .

And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, (Colossians 1:9)

I thank my God always when I remember you in my prayers, (Philemon 4)

And because Jesus and Paul, a giant of the faith, needed to pray, it is folly for me to stop, even for a day.

PRAY: Jesus, I hear You loud and clear. Escape my worries and petty concerns by taking them to You and listening to what You have to say about them. Also, pray for others often, as I usually do. Once is good, but none of these verses suggest once is the norm. Just as human need is continual, You intend my prayers to be continual, not just reciting my list, but spending quality time in communication with You, my Lord and Savior. Forgive me for dropping out.

PONDER: More of the same . . .

But I call to God, and the Lord will save me. Evening and morning and at noon I utter my complaint and moan, and he hears my voice. He redeems my soul in safety from the battle that I wage, for many are arrayed against me. (Psalm 55:16–18)

When Daniel knew that the document had been signed (forbidding prayer), he went to his house where he had windows in his upper chamber open toward Jerusalem. He got down on his knees three times a day and prayed and gave thanks before his God, as he had done previously. (Daniel 6:10)

In these days (Jesus) went out to the mountain to pray, and all night he continued in prayer to God. (Luke 6:12)

She who is truly a widow, left all alone, has set her hope on God and continues in supplications and prayers night and day. (1 Timothy 5:5)

 

 

No comments: