September 29, 2023

Intercession requires . . .

 

God wants me to look beyond my own problems and pray for the needs of others. MacArthur gives an example in history where psychological clinics had large numbers of neurotics undergoing drug treatments and others attended regularly with personal problems, worries, anxieties, temptations. However, when the Civil War broke out, these clinics were virtually emptied. Those with neurotic issues were ‘cured’ by a greater anxiety; would they lose their homes, their spouses, their children?

I noticed the same thing in the book of Job. He had terrible things happen and complained. However, at the end of his story, the Lord’s anger burned against his friends who had not spoken rightly to this man. God told them to offer a burnt offering for their sin and that Job would pray for them. Job did, his mind off himself and for these who had not encouraged him.

And the Lord restored the fortunes of Job when he had prayed for his friends. And the Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before. (Job 42:10)

I’ve noted the same for my own life. I can fall into a pity-party if I’m in pain, or if things are not the way I want them, but when I pray for others, my problems shrink and become nothing. At the same time, this is often when God meets my needs — when they are put at the bottom of the list or taken off the list entirely.

Today’s devotional reminds me that the Holy Spirit and Jesus both intercede for me:

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. (Romans 8:26–27)

Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. (Romans 8:34)

Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them. (Hebrews 7:25)

It is Jesus’ goal to transform me into His likeness, so I also need to intercede for others. I read that D. L. Moody put one hundred unsaved people on his prayer list. Before he died, ninety-six of them were saved. The other four were saved at his funeral. This motivated me to pray for others, yet I quickly realized that a long list means time and effort. For this, God keeps urging me and encouraging me to pray. He says:

And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him. (1 John 5:14–15)

Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. (Philippians 2:3–4)

On this day, my hubby is hoping to share the Gospel with a relative. A dear friend is in hospital with internal pain and a heart attack. Another fell and is recovering from both legs and a broken sternum. Several close friends need work. Many relatives and friends need Jesus, and some of them are into false teaching, cults, spiritual deceptions of all kinds, or have very hard hearts toward anything about Jesus. The list is long and the battle is exhausting — this is not an excuse, just a reality.

PRAY: I already have the list, Jesus. Making time and the effort to pray for all of them is important, but not easy. Help me with the energy and the words, but also the willingness and the love needed to keep at it.

PONDER: Read Philippians 2:1–11 for understanding, not only about my attitude toward others, but to realize the results when Jesus humbled Himself and was obedient. What do I need to do to be: “Praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication . . . alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints”? (Ephesians 6:18)

 

No comments: