September 17, 2023

Don’t go barefoot!

 

Anyone who has walked around outside with no shoes knows that some areas are off-limits when you're barefoot. I always wear shoes because when I don’t, I invariably drop something on my foot or stub a toe.

MacArthur illustrates the importance of proper footwear in sports. When I see women in extreme high heels, or wearing shoes that are too big or too small, I almost feel my own feet hurting. Sore feet can interfere with much of life. This is why footwear illustrates part of an effective piece of spiritual armor against Satan’s efforts to ruin Christian living . . .

Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. (Ephesians 6:14–15)

In Bible days, the Roman soldiers wore the right shoes for protection and good traction to move quickly. As a warrior in the army of God, I need to be properly shod too, but this verse is not about shoes but being ready to engage in battle by going on the offense and sharing the Gospel of peace with God with others.

This preparedness is being focused on all that Jesus has done to save me and to save other sinners, then when opportunities arise, this good news message will easily come out in my speech. Because I have put on this preparation, not just to protect myself from Satan’s lies such as, “How can you be a Christian? You are so useless” etc. I am eager to say what God has put in my heart.

It works like this: when I am thinking all day about the ache in my arm or the bruises on my legs, I’m apt to talk about that when someone visits me. If I think about my children all day, or about the quilt I am working on, those also become topics of conversation. However, if I am wearing the shoes that God gives, then I’m thinking about the amazing grace and love of Jesus. With Him on my mind, He is more easily on my lips.

A song titled “I Speak Jesus” says, “I just want to speak the name of Jesus, over every heart and every mind, because I know there is peace within Your presence, I speak Jesus.” It blesses the fact that with Jesus on my mind I want to put Him in the mind of others, if not with words to them, then in prayer to God. His Spirit can speak of peace with God to those who do not know Him, and the peace of His presence into those who do. So can His Word:

Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ . . . . because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. (Romans 5:1–5)

The peace of God is often beyond comprehension. Philippians 4:6–7 says: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

God shows His love and gives His peace when it is least expected, like a time long ago when one of our children disappeared, or when I was in terrible pain, or when my hubby had a heart attack, and even during and after my recent tumble down a staircase.

His peace, as today’s devotional says, affirms that God is on my side. He cares about me and makes war with me against sin and evil. Nothing can stop Him from loving me:

If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? . . . . No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:31–39)

PRAY: Jesus, keep me well-shod, always with You in my thoughts, knowing You love me, knowing I have peace with God and the peace of God because of You. May I always be prepared to speak of You whenever possible.

PONDER: Consider the best ways to keep my focus on Jesus. Google this and read some links about spiritual disciplines and follow through. Also run to Him each time my weaknesses show up. 

 

 

No comments: