September 2, 2023

My primary battle

 

(Published late -- due to a family wedding today) 

More and more I’m realizing that no matter the issues and problems that bother me, my first priority is my attitude toward those things. Am I trusting the sovereignty of God and resting in His reasons and ability to take care of them? Or am I in a flap because my inner peace has been threatened or disappeared altogether?

This is where spiritual warfare begins. Sometimes the problem is a call to prayer and I’m not ‘bent out of shape’ by it, but if I am, then I need to first figure out what has happened to my heart. Then I can pray about the issue that has upset me.

Sometimes I get riled over a well-disguised lie. Lies are rooted in Satan’s tool box yet he often uses false teachers to deliver them. A few of these seem legitimate, but God tells me to be wary:

For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds. (2 Corinthians 11:13–15)

This enemy is sometimes portrayed as a bright red being with horns, but the Bible never depicts him that way. If he is not disguised as one of God’s servants, he is more obvious as a roaring lion, someone who seems a bit like Christ but without His compassion to give life to us:

Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. (1 Peter 5:6–10)

No matter how he comes at me or who he uses, I need wisdom and discernment from the Lord to identify this enemy and defend myself his attacks. I cannot ever scoff at the supernatural and deny the reality of spiritual warfare. Satan is not just a character in a fiction plot or something taken seriously by superstitious people. He is real and dangerous to my spiritual life. The Bible tells me what he does and that God gives me all I need to defend myself and to defeat his dark schemes.

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak. So that you also may know how I am and what I am doing, Tychicus the beloved brother and faithful minister in the Lord will tell you everything. I have sent him to you for this very purpose, that you may know how we are, and that he may encourage your hearts. Peace be to the brothers, and love with faith, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Grace be with all who love our Lord Jesus Christ with love incorruptible. (Ephesians 6:10–24)

PRAY: Lord Jesus, today, I need this armor and prayer as many will events give this liar opportunities to aim his flaming darts at my faith. I woke up feeling defeated. I need the fullness of Your Spirit, discernment and grace to identify the enemy’s tactics and to stand against him with Your attitudes and confidence. Enable me to focus on You and glorify Your Name.

PONDER: Read Ephesians 6:10–24 again and note any armor that might be missing. Make certain that the emotions I’m feeling are from Jesus and not part of Satan’s plan to deny Him and put me to shame this day.

 

 

No comments: