September 24, 2023

A Day of Rest

 

This week was filled with busyness to the degree I’ve felt overwhelmed most days. Yesterday we went on a picnic with four refugee families and some of their supporters. These families come from a culture that knows when to take a break, to rest. In our culture, working, being busy, going and doing is almost an idol. Sometimes those who sit and do nothing are scorned as lazy when maybe they have been listening to the Lord who said: “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28)

This verse comes from a passage that says something similar:

There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His. Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience. (Hebrews 4:9–11)

While the rest here seems more a spiritual rest from our own efforts rather than a physical effort from hard work, the two are related. Am I busy, busy, busy because Jesus called me to do all that I do? Or does some of that to-do list come from personal ambition, a sense of duty, or a work ethic based on human expectations rather than God’s voice urging me to be diligent?

Kenneth Osbeck in his book “Amazing Grace: 366 Inspiring Hymn Stories for Daily Devotions” quotes John Wesley, an evangelist of the 18th century who said Christians must “learn to live with a slack rein.” This expression is from a man who rode a horse from place to place. I know the idea of a slack rein; it is trusting the horse to take you where you are going without being guided or told what to do.

The slack rein illustrates trusting God. I don’t need to tell Him what to do, or guide Him, or be anxious that He will take me where He does not want me to go. Not only that, I trust His ‘gait’ that He is not going to go too fast or stop without reason.

God’s people get battle weary spiritually, and totally exhausted physically. We need times of relaxation, rest, and renewal to prevent burn-out while engaged in serving the Lord and serving others. Sometimes God needs to initiate that rest by putting us flat out. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.” (Psalm 23:2)

Far better to stop and evaluate. Is my to-do list too much because I am not listening, not trusting the Lord? Am I frantic with the idea that ‘something must be done’ or ‘I must do something’ that God has not commanded? Am I am trying to meet needs without His direction? His sheep hear His voice . . .

In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength. (Isaiah 30:15)

The work of righteousness will be peace, And the effect of righteousness, quietness and assurance forever. (Isaiah 32:17)

Resting in Jesus is important. I need to practice daily rest — that total trust regardless of life’s pressures and circumstances. This rest is now, not ‘I wasn’t always this busy’ and it is a conscious choice to relax, enjoy God’s presence, and give my worries, conflicts, and choices to Him. Instead of praying, “What do You want me to do?” I need to take time to pray in worshipful thanksgiving that He is taking care of His world, His people, and my concerns. When I give them to Him, I must not take them back.

The title of the song featured in Osbeck’s book begins with its first four words:

Jesus, I am resting, resting in the joy of what Thou art; I am finding out the greatness of Thy loving heart. Thou hast bid me gaze upon Thee, and Thy beauty fills my soul, for by Thy transforming power Thou hast made me whole.

Simply trusting Thee, Lord Jesus, I behold Thee as Thou art, and Thy love, so pure, so changeless, satisfies my heart—Satisfies its deepest longings, meets, supplies its ev’ry need, compasseth me round with blessings. This is love indeed!

Ever lift Thy face upon me as I work and wait for Thee. Resting ’neath Thy smile, Lord Jesus, earth’s dark shadows flee. Brightness of my Father’s glory, sunshine of my Father’s face, keep me ever trusting, resting; fill me with Thy grace. (Jesus, I am Resting, Resting, Jean Sophia Pigott, 1845–1882)

PRAY: Lord, this is why You gave us the Sabbath, a day of rest where we can give all our burdens to You in worship and praise, knowing that You are taking us where we need to go and desire to restore our energy with Your love and power. Thank You for this musical reminder, but even more for the truth that You do give us rest — calling us to Yourself and away from the weariness of spiritual work and warfare. Forgive me for not listening to that call as often as You give it.

PONDER: Read Psalm 119. Which thoughts are compatible with being at rest?

 

 

No comments: