September 13, 2023

Truth wins over Lies

 

Someone once said that if truth and lies were put in the same place to fight, truth would always win. This is biblical. Jesus said that truth makes us free yet Paul’s passage on spiritual armor says I need to put on the belt of truth.

Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness. (Ephesians 6:14)

This belt refers to that worn by Roman soldiers to keep their tunic from getting in the way in the midst of battle. The other terms used reflect the idea of being prepared as when God tells the children of Israel to gird their loins for their exodus from Egypt (Exodus 12:11). Jesus used the same language in saying, “Stay dressed for action and keep your lamps burning.” (Luke 12:35) Peter also wrote “Prepare your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ” (1 Peter 1:13).

Truth can refer to what is true (external) or having an attitude of truthfulness (internal). Both are combined in this passage that speaks of being mature in Christ:

. . . so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes. Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ. (Ephesians 4:14–15)

I know full well that I must know truth and speak it. Otherwise, I give Satan an open door to defeat me and others who hear me with his lies. I react when someone posts hoaxes and untrue posts in social media, but lies also break my heart when I realize someone has been deceived, including myself.

After many years of battling my sin and the devil’s lies, I am certain the only way to defend myself is by having a thorough knowledge of God’s Word and a firm commitment to obeying it. This morning, I opened up a new book in my Bible program that shows God’s promises related to my need for strength. Even though they were familiar, God blessed me with a review to the point that tears of joy ran freely. How easily I forget what He says and how vital that I keep reading His Word!

And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ. (Philippians 1:9–10)

I always need what Paul prayed for — abounding and increasing love with knowledge and discernment. As MacArthur says, I must never be content with my present level of spirituality. I need to keep learning and growing and always maintaining an attitude of truthfulness because I know the truth. Only truth can defeat the lies that Satan and my human doubts and fears throw at me.

PRAY: Lord, You know how bothered I am by lies. You also know how subtle those lies can creep into my heart and bring tensions with them, tensions such as worry, fear, anger, selfish desires to fix things myself because I am doubting You. I’m so thankful that You are my Savior and the Truth —I cannot rescue myself. You want me to think Your thoughts and remember all Your amazing promises. However, even though the battles belong to You, I must also fight on my knees. Don’t let Satan ever defeat me to the point that I stop bringing all my joys and sorrows to Your throne of grace.

PONDER: 2 Corinthians 11:1-15 noting how Satan attacks and uses others to help him. Be alert, in the Word, and submitting to whatever the Lord says.

 

 

No comments: