September 15, 2023

Living out Christ’s righteousness

Spiritual battles are won by putting on the protection God gives and using the weapons that are ours in Christ. Weapons are truth, faith, Christ’s righteousness, prayer and the Word of God, yet these also serve as protection. If I am lying, doubting, sinning and not reading my Bible or praying, then I’ve put myself on the side of the enemy rather than yielding to God and resisting the evil one.

MacArthur points out that the Bible defines righteousness three ways and asks which is God referring to in this verse: “Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness.” (Ephesians 6:14)

Self-righteousness: It cannot be this one because it deceives me into thinking I can please God and reach Heaven on my own merit. The NT says NO WAY. Even the OT says:

We have all become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous deeds are like a polluted garment. We all fade like a leaf, and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away. (Isaiah 64:6)

Imputed righteousness: It is not this one because the righteousness of Christ is granted at the moment of salvation and is about my position or standing in Christ “who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.” (2 Corinthians 5:21) I don’t need to put that on because He already did that when I was saved! His righteousness actually makes me a target for the enemy. Jesus said, “A servant is not greater than his master. If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you.” (John 15:20)

Practical righteousness: remains. It is moment-by-moment obedience to God. If I am not pursuing righteous behavior that aims to match my position in Christ, then the enemy has accomplished a great part of his purpose — getting me to sin. Instead . . .

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. (Philippians 2:12–13)

Whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked. (1 John 2:6)

Living as Jesus wants me to live is my protection against the enemy. Even though he still attacks, God can use those attacks to show me areas that need attention, and as I resist them, He will be glorified. My latest big battle involved the question: will I obey and glorify God even in pain? If I turn inward and feel sorry for myself begging God to ‘fix it’ then I’m giving up. However, if I keep my eyes on God’s glory, my mind will not go there, not because of my own ability but because Jesus gives me what I need to overcome that temptation.

PRAY: Jesus, You are the only reason I can obey and be protected against the devices of evil. Your righteousness is a big motivation and source of being righteous. Without You, I cannot draw another breath, never mind obey what You tell me. Thank You for everything.

PONDER: Read Romans 3:10–23. Praise God that He has — by grace through faith — saved me from the power of sin and from its penalty and granted me the righteousness of Christ making possible the choice to live for Him!

 

 

No comments: