September 10, 2023

Effective?

 

When asked to start a ladies prayer group, I was happy to do so. A small group expressed interest in praying so we began, however I told these ladies that if we prayed as we planned, we would experience opposition. As Paul wrote:

A wide door for effective work has opened to me, and there are many adversaries. (1 Corinthians 16:9)

Even if we “Put on the whole armor of God, that we may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil” (Ephesians 6:11) that does not mean this enemy will stand back and leave us alone. I told them we would experience opposition because prayer changes things and Satan wants to render God’s people ineffective for Christ.

One lady signed up but never made it to one prayer session. She fell down a flight of stairs and has been in recovery for many weeks. Another was struck with shocking family problems. I’ve also had many experiences indicating the devil wants me to shut up. As MacArthur writes, the more opportunities you have to serve Christ, the more adversity you’ll face.

This pastor gets asked if ministry becomes easier over the years. I was asked if being a Christian gets easier as I get older. MacArthur’s answer is the same as mine: I’ve learned more about Jesus, His Word, how to better manage my time, how to be more loving, but it becomes more difficult to pray for spiritual needs and other human problems and as God teaches me, I am far more aware of my weaknesses and of Satan opposing me constantly.

My prayer life is not as visible to others as the ministry of a pastor or a missionary, but that does not mean any less of a battle with the enemy. Whatever is done in the name of Jesus and whatever builds the kingdom of God is a target for anyone standing at a pulpit or at the kitchen sink, bending over the Bible or balancing the books, feeding five thousand or cleaning up after them. No matter the service to others in the name of Jesus, Satan tries to stop it.

Last night we heard the testimony of a new friend who suffered great persecution for several years before he and his family were brought to our country. I wept at what happened to him and cannot imagine the horrors. Today, I read some of the experiences of the Apostle Paul as our enemy tried to stop him. However, God is powerful to deliver His people. Even in weaknesses and pain, in struggles and challenges, He does not abandon us to suffer alone. His great joy sustains and blesses me, even when my body is in pain and covered with bruises. Who am I to complain? Paul wrote this:

Are they servants of Christ? I am a better one—I am talking like a madman—with far greater labors, far more imprisonments, with countless beatings, and often near death. Five times I received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one. Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I was adrift at sea; on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from robbers, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brothers; in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. And, apart from other things, there is the daily pressure on me of my anxiety for all the churches. Who is weak, and I am not weak? Who is made to fall, and I am not indignant? If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness. (2 Corinthians 11:23–30)

His work was not halted due to some hope that things would improve. He eventually realized that his “thorn in the flesh” was not a bad thing because it led to a greater trust in God, less trust in himself, and a releasing of God’s power that would change the world. It was not fun, but eventually he rejoiced in his weakness:

Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:8–10)

PRAY: Jesus, I know prayer seems to some like the ‘last ditch effort’ but to stick with it knowing my weakness and trusting You is hard work. Satan throws arrows and all sorts of obstacles, but Your responses are utterly amazing and seeing Your glory is great encouragement.

PONDER: Romans 8:18 is both a future promise and a present source of strength . . . as is the joy that God gives!

 

 

No comments: