April 21, 2022

God and Aging

 

 

READ Psalm 71–75

More and more I’m seeing the differences between human wisdom and God’s wisdom, human thinking and the will of God. Someone said to me, “It must be easier to be a Christian as you get older.” These words burn in my heart as I realize the length of the journey combined with my grandmother’s words: “Too old too soon, too late smart.” With age comes weakness, yet with experience comes a knowledge of God that was completely unknown to me as a youth.

This morning I asked the Lord to show me Himself in His Word. Instead, He gave me a glimpse at myself along with the contrast of fleshy, human thinking compared to what is true in the kingdom of God. First came a prayer that reflects a desire that comes with passing years and a deepening relationship with Him:

Do not cast me off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength is spent. My mouth will tell of your righteous acts, of your deeds of salvation all the day, for their number is past my knowledge. With the mighty deeds of the Lord God I will come; I will remind them of your righteousness, yours alone. O God, from my youth you have taught me, and I still proclaim your wondrous deeds. So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim your might to another generation, your power to all those to come. (Psalm 71:9; 15–18)

God reveals how a spiritual person looks to the end of life with a hopeful attitude. Instead of being ‘put out to pasture’ growing older is not a fear but an exciting adventure. I think of my relative who just died at 104 and still had a desire to work and contribute to the world — and he was not a religious man. Shame on any Christians who ‘retire’ from spiritual activity and retreat into complaints about aging and their aching bodies. Instead, the psalmist says:

You who have made me see many troubles and calamities will revive me again; from the depths of the earth you will bring me up again. You will increase my greatness and comfort me again. (Psalm 71:20–21)

Nor should we dread death. God not only says, “He has pity on the weak and the needy, and saves the lives of the needy. From oppression and violence he redeems their life” but adds “and precious is their blood in his sight.” (Psalm 72:13–14) Death is not the end yet so many elderly fear it, even elderly Christians. I don’t want to fear that which ushers me into eternal life with my Lord and Savior. By His grace, I want to always think and say:

Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel, who alone does wondrous things. Blessed be his glorious name forever; may the whole earth be filled with his glory! Amen and Amen! (Psalm 72:18–19)

These days of war in Ukraine and the evil done for reasons beyond me are on my heart too, yet God speaks to that also. He knows I need to hear the experience of the psalm writer:

But when I thought how to understand this, it seemed to me a wearisome task, until I went into the sanctuary of God; then I discerned their end. Truly you set them in slippery places; you make them fall to ruin. How they are destroyed in a moment, swept away utterly by terrors! Like a dream when one awakes, O Lord, when you rouse yourself, you despise them as phantoms . . . . Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:16–26)

And He adds thoughts for prayer concerning this evil: “For behold, those who are far from you shall perish; you put an end to everyone who is unfaithful to you” (Psalm 73:27) and “Arise, O God, defend your cause; remember how the foolish scoff at you all the day! Do not forget the clamor of your foes, the uproar of those who rise against you, which goes up continually!” (Psalm 74:22–23) and “but it is God who executes judgment, putting down one and lifting up another. For in the hand of the Lord there is a cup with foaming wine, well mixed, and he pours out from it, and all the wicked of the earth shall drain it down to the dregs.” (Psalm 75:7–8)

If getting older means learning more of the power and wisdom of God, then bring it on. Grant me, O Lord, the grace to keep my mind on You and Your thoughts, not on the problems of having an aging body and an often forgetful mind. Human thinking gives in to self-pity and regrets; godly thinking seeks Your face and deeper understanding. It is filled with praise for the goodness and glory of who You are and what You are doing. May that be my focus today and always!

 

No comments: