April 19, 2022

Rejoicing in the Lord . . .

 

 

READ Psalm 61–65

Hear my cry, O God, listen to my prayer; from the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, for you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy. (Psalm 61:1–3)

Not half-way through yet, but I don’t want to ever stop reading the Psalms. For many reasons, the words of praise are so rich. Identifying with the psalmist is easy as I ask Him to listen to my prayers and to speak to me each morning. And He does with words that calm my heart and assure me of His work in my life.

For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation. He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. (Psalm 62:1–2)

Waiting in silence is learned. In former days, I came to God talking. I had a list, a host of things to tell Him, to ask Him. Learning to listen requires silence, even classifies it as a spiritual discipline. Our world is noisy. Like graffiti on a bare wall, many feel they must fill their air with sound. Music can be a blessing. So can the noise of family and traffic and other things, but learning to hear God requires silence. Was I afraid of what He would say?

For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken. On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God. (Psalm 62:5–7)

These are His words, not condemning, full of hope. He is like a solid rock. He is my salvation and as He assures me, my shaking stops. My heart is at rest. What a glory to quietly sit before Him as He speaks, or even as He is silent and smiling at me. From those times of silence, I learn that when His presence cannot be felt or detected, He is not gone but only giving me an opportunity to run after Him:

O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water. So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory. Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you. So I will bless you as long as I live; in your name I will lift up my hands. (Psalm 63:1–4)

This week, I learned that every breath I take utters His name (see yesterday’s post) and my shortness of breath is improving. Earlier I’d asked about it and never expected that answer! His incredible surprises are one more thing that I love about Him . . .

Let the righteous one rejoice in the Lord and take refuge in him! Let all the upright in heart exult! (Psalm 64:10)

Of course I want others to know the delights of being in a saving relationship with Almighty God through faith in Jesus Christ. Will that happen? My hope is in words like this: “Praise is due to you, O God, in Zion, and to you shall vows be performed. O you who hear prayer, to you shall all flesh come.” (Psalm 65:1–2)

When people pray, do all see the power of God? Does their view see only as far as what they want? Or can everyone see all that God does? I fear for those who think that man controls the weather, the environment, his own success — when the Word of God is clear about the wonder of God at work. May all flesh see and come because . . .

By awesome deeds you answer us with righteousness, O God of our salvation, the hope of all the ends of the earth and of the farthest seas; the one who by his strength established the mountains, being girded with might; who stills the roaring of the seas, the roaring of their waves, the tumult of the peoples, so that those who dwell at the ends of the earth are in awe at your signs. You make the going out of the morning and the evening to shout for joy. You visit the earth and water it; you greatly enrich it; the river of God is full of water; you provide their grain, for so you have prepared it. You water its furrows abundantly, settling its ridges, softening it with showers, and blessing its growth. You crown the year with your bounty; your wagon tracks overflow with abundance. The pastures of the wilderness overflow, the hills gird themselves with joy, the meadows clothe themselves with flocks, the valleys deck themselves with grain, they shout and sing together for joy. (Psalm 65:5–13)

Along with the hills and valleys, along with all life and all God has created and sustained, may I today shout and sing for joy along with them for the God of my salvation, my hope and my wonderful Savior!

 

No comments: