April 27, 2022

Just being here . . .

 

READ Psalm 101–105

Yesterday my heart was set to praise God all day. It happened — even though severe pain came along because of a simple ailment I’ve never had before. It was and still is awful, keeping me from doing much, yet the oddest thing: my heart was not troubled. Praise kept coming to mind. It was as if the pain was outside of myself because the presence of the Lord was so strong.

Sometimes God does things like that just to show that the power is His and not mine. I didn’t ask for or expect this experience. He just did it. Grace and mercy. He is with me in all things, sometimes I’m too busy to notice but today it is remarkably clear.

Today’s reading is also filled with praise. The first psalm is by David who is called “a man after God’s own heart” and this psalm shows why he was called that; he was determined to be godly. Like all of us, he had failures, but when I read this, the standard for godliness became exquisitely clear.

I will sing of steadfast love and justice; to you, O Lord, I will make music. I will ponder the way that is blameless. Oh when will you come to me? I will walk with integrity of heart within my house; I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless. I hate the work of those who fall away; it shall not cling to me. A perverse heart shall be far from me; I will know nothing of evil. Whoever slanders his neighbor secretly I will destroy. Whoever has a haughty look and an arrogant heart I will not endure. I will look with favor on the faithful in the land, that they may dwell with me; he who walks in the way that is blameless shall minister to me. No one who practices deceit shall dwell in my house; no one who utters lies shall continue before my eyes. Morning by morning I will destroy all the wicked in the land, cutting off all the evildoers from the city of the Lord. (Psalm 101:1–8)

He had a desire to be God’s man even in his own home. No pretense about David. If he had television or movies in his era, no doubt he would not watch most of it, at least if it presented the media topics of today. He would not be involved in any useless activities, never mind any shady dealings. He simply would not look at or endure sinfulness in whatever form it appeared. Not only that, as a king who had the power to do so, he would do whatever he could to put a stop to evil. Oh how we could use a few leaders like David in our world!

God also dropped in a short promise in the next psalm, one that reminded me not to be anxious about unsaved family members. The psalmist says to God, “The children of your servants shall dwell secure; their offspring shall be established before you.” (Psalm 102:28) His assurance gives my heart rest. I will pray for those covered by this promise with even greater conviction concernaing God’s care for them.

It is also good to be reminded of God’s power for my own life, particularly when in pain or afflicted or feeling old and useless (it happens now and then). David writes this reminder for me today:

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. (Psalm 103:2–5)

And for that, my heart is settled. The pain is still intense, but because of His mercy, power, and grace, “I will sing to the Lord as long as I live; I will sing praise to my God while I have being. May my meditation be pleasing to him, for I rejoice in the Lord.” (Psalm 104:33–34) This is the day that the Lord has made; I will rejoice and be glad in it!

 

No comments: