April 9, 2022

The greatest reward

 

 

READ Psalm 11-15

Yesterday we saw a quote on the wall of a museum that told about another kingdom unknown to most people. We smiled, not because the author referred to pantheism but because both of us live in this world but also in the kingdom of God. The first is known to all, the second only to those who have been put there by the grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ.

This sounds like an elitist statement. It is not. This kingdom is not entered because those in it are special or have accomplished something. The NT makes it very clear:

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. (Ephesians 2:8–9)

The King of this kingdom is obvious: Jesus Christ rules it. We live in it submitted to that rule. He has changed our lives. Those outside this kingdom range in description from good people who do their best to live right — to evil people who ignore God completely. Today’s reading describes both. First, those who know nothing of God’s kingdom or His rule:

The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds; there is none who does good. The Lord looks down from heaven on the children of man, to see if there are any who understand, who seek after God. They have all turned aside; together they have become corrupt; there is none who does good, not even one. Have they no knowledge, all the evildoers who eat up my people as they eat bread and do not call upon the Lord? (Psalm 14:1–4)

Those in the kingdom have a distinctive difference because of saying yes to the rule of Jesus Christ.

O Lord, who shall sojourn in your tent? Who shall dwell on your holy hill? He who walks blamelessly and does what is right and speaks truth in his heart; who does not slander with his tongue and does no evil to his neighbor, nor takes up a reproach against his friend; in whose eyes a vile person is despised, but who honors those who fear the Lord; who swears to his own hurt and does not change; who does not put out his money at interest and does not take a bribe against the innocent. He who does these things shall never be moved. (Psalm 15:1–5)

We also have two kinds of conflict unknown to those outside of God’s kingdom. One is the conflict between the old nature, or ‘flesh’ as it is called in the NT, and the Spirit. This conflict shows up when we try to do anything apart from the guidance of the Lord, our King.

The second is a conflict with those outside His kingdom. Sometimes we are resisted and even hated by others who may not even be aware why they oppose us or that they are doing so. This is described by the psalmist who pleads to God for help in such conflict:

How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? How long must I take counsel in my soul and have sorrow in my heart all the day? How long shall my enemy be exalted over me? Consider and answer me, O Lord my God; light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death, lest my enemy say, “I have prevailed over him,” lest my foes rejoice because I am shaken. But I have trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. I will sing to the Lord, because he has dealt bountifully with me. (Psalm 13:1–6)

The last lines are so true. Being a child of the King is joyful, despite the battles. While we are taken care of and often in bountiful ways, it isn’t about the gifts He bestows; it is about knowing Him. He loves what comes out of our faith in Him, but even better — He reveals Himself to us. “For the Lord is righteous; he loves righteous deeds; the upright shall behold his face.” (Psalm 11:7) Seeing Him is the greatest reward of having this incredible gift that none of us earned or deserved!

 

No comments: