April 12, 2022

Overcoming evil

 

 

READ: Psalm 26-30

Last night one of the men in our Bible study asked, “What should we do in response to evil?” With that, we had a lengthy discussion. Several in the group shared that evil made them angry and anger motivated them to do something. I read “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good” (Romans 12:21) and said since good was not specified, we need to seek God’s will to know what good we should do. Depending on position, resources, etc. it might be a large action. For others, it might mean spending more time on our knees.

I didn’t think of it at the time, but the idea of not being overcome by evil is vital. Our pastor preached on the sin of pride last Sunday, defining it as the attitude of “I can do this myself” without the need of God or even His direction. To take action against evil based on an emotional reaction to it could be human effort and human effort apart from the Spirit of God is sin. As the NT says, “Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and give no opportunity to the devil.” (Ephesians 4:26-27) It also says, “The anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.” (James 1:20)

Dealing with evil is definitely a call to pray. For this, the psalmist gives a few guidelines. One of them is not to join their company. “I do not sit with men of falsehood, nor do I consort with hypocrites. I hate the assembly of evildoers, and I will not sit with the wicked.” (Psalm 26:4–5) Sit and consort both indicate an attitude of going along with those who do evil. It might begin with an effort to understand them, to see their point of view or ask what led them to what they are doing. This could be a slippery slope and dangerous.

Another important reminder is to remember who God is and not let evil people intimidate me . . .

The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When evildoers assail me to eat up my flesh, my adversaries and foes, it is they who stumble and fall. Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war arise against me, yet I will be confident. One thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in his temple. For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will lift me high upon a rock. (Psalm 27:1–5)

After praying, I also need to wait for the answer, trusting God to lead me as the psalmist also realized:

Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud; be gracious to me and answer me! You have said, “Seek my face.” My heart says to you, “Your face, Lord, do I seek.” Hide not your face from me. Turn not your servant away in anger, O you who have been my help. Cast me not off; forsake me not, O God of my salvation! For my father and my mother have forsaken me, but the Lord will take me in. Teach me your way, O Lord, and lead me on a level path because of my enemies. Give me not up to the will of my adversaries; for false witnesses have risen against me, and they breathe out violence. I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living! Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord! (Psalm 27:7–14)

When Jesus saw the money-changers in the temple, He was angry at their disregard for God’s place of prayer and drove them out. But before doing that, He braided a whip. I’ve done that type of braiding for something my brother needed. It is time-consuming indicating Jesus did not fly off the handle in anger. He took time to realize the appropriate actions that fit the will of His Father.

Our study group talked about the situation in the Ukraine. The evil happening there is distressing everyone, yet God calls for different responses depending on His assessment of this situation and His knowledge of those who are suffering. Sometimes He gives strength IN the situation rather than removing it or taking people out of it. To know what we should do requires seeking His face. As I do that, I can use the above thoughts to pray concerning this evil — and remember the following when praying for those who suffer:

“The Lord is the strength of his people; he is the saving refuge of his anointed. Oh, save your people and bless your heritage! Be their shepherd and carry them forever” (Psalm 28:8–9) and “May the Lord give strength to his people! May the Lord bless his people with peace!” (Psalm 29:11)

 

No comments: