April 29, 2022

Deep Dive into His amazing love . . .

 

Psalm 113–118

The physical problems of this week are nothing compared to discovering the power of God’s presence. Once before and years ago I had a sore back yet was joyful. This time it was not my back but the pain was far more intense. Yet God gave me unexpected joy, deep joy. The average person may have questioned my sanity or wondered if the pain was imagined. All I can say is: “Blessed be the name of the Lord from this time forth and forevermore! From the rising of the sun to its setting, the name of the Lord is to be praised!” (Psalm 113:2–3)

This experience has done something important in my attitude; if I had any fears of any kind of disaster or loss or even death, God has shown me the reality of David’s words: “I will fear no evil for thou art with me” (Psalm 23). His presence means full joy, no matter what else is going on.

I look at the world around me and feel sorrow for those who have no idea of the power of God or even His reality I’ve been praying with the psalmist:

Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to your name give glory, for the sake of your steadfast love and your faithfulness! Why should the nations say, “Where is their God?” Our God is in the heavens; he does all that he pleases. Their idols are silver and gold, the work of human hands. They have mouths, but do not speak; eyes, but do not see. They have ears, but do not hear; noses, but do not smell. They have hands, but do not feel; feet, but do not walk; and they do not make a sound in their throat. Those who make them become like them; so do all who trust in them. (Psalm 115:1–8)

This is truly the day the Lord has made, a day of counting my blessings and a day to be glad in the Lord. Other verses from this reading echo the thoughts of my heart, such as:

I love the Lord, because he has heard my voice and my pleas for mercy. Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live. (Psalm 116:1–2)

Praise the Lord, all nations! Extol him, all peoples! For great is his steadfast love toward us, and the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever. Praise the Lord! (Psalm 117:1–2)

Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever! (Psalm 118:1)

Again, “This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.” (Psalm 118:24) I do understand how this is also true: “Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.” (Psalm 116:15) It is not just that I should be glad to finally see Him face to face, but that He is delighted to welcome me into His eternal home. God looks on that as precious because I am His beloved. Of course He is fully able to make that homegoing, no matter how it may look on the outside, a delightful experience — not something to dread. Because He gave me joy in pain, I know that He can do that same thing no matter what happens next!

You are my God, and I will give thanks to you; you are my God; I will extol you. Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever! (Psalm 118:28–29)

This is grace. I’d not been praying about any fears nor aware that I was fearful. He just brought this into my life so I could shout to the world to trust God — His love and His presence overcomes everything, so drop the idols, drop the self-effort, drop the excuses . . . and deep dive into the love of Christ!

 

No comments: