April 10, 2022

A Spoiled Brat . . .

 

READ Psalm 16-20

Yesterday we drove a couple hours to a ski resort, but the goal was not skiing. My husband and our granddaughter had booked a zipline adventure. Five ziplines, the longest was 2400 meters, about the height of a ten-story building off the ground. Not me. Scared of heights and feeling tired and cold, I sat that one out.

I’ve said many times I consider myself “God’s spoiled brat” and He did it again. This ski resort is huge and well-equipped with parking, but all of it taken. People everywhere for spring skiing in +5C weather with a bit of wind. I prayed for a parking spot, and we found one. Then, when the two of them left for their wild ride, I prayed for a place to keep warm. Spying a Hilton hotel, I asked in the lobby where I could sit and read for a couple hours. They directed me down a wing with a fireplace and four large chairs. It was perfect for this spoiled brat.

Today’s reading had several verses written by the psalmist who seemed to feel the same way, or at least expressed how I often feel in my relationship with Almighty God through faith in Jesus Christ.

First, He takes care of me and gives me the goodness of His Son. That is amazing. He also gives me dear friends who are also in His family and at times feel the same way, like spoiled children:

Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge. I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you.” As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight. (Psalm 16:1–3)

Being in this Father/child relationship means eternal matters are settled as He gives me His life and reveals the way to live it — with great joy:

You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. (Psalm 16:11)

My Father also listens to my requests and shows me His love, protecting me from all harm:

I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God; incline your ear to me; hear my words. Wondrously show your steadfast love, O Savior of those who seek refuge from their adversaries at your right hand. (Psalm 17:6–7)

Most of us know what it is like to wake up from a child’s nap and see mom or dad and feel content and protected. As with all God’s children, I have this precious promise concerning the sleep of death, for I will wake up and see His face. Not only will that be a blessing, when I see Him, I will be like Him:

As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness. (Psalm 17:15)

Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. (1 John 3:2)

For these reasons, I feel like a spoiled brat. I can say with the psalmist: “I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold . . . . For it is you who light my lamp; the Lord my God lightens my darkness. For by you I can run against a troop, and by my God I can leap over a wall. This God—his way is perfect; the word of the Lord proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him.” (Psalm 18:1–2; 28–30)

And because of Him, I want my thoughts, words, and actions to please Him, my Father who takes care of me in simple things like finding a warm place to sit, and in far-reaching things like knowing I will be with Him forever. For this I am so grateful and again pray Psalm 19:14:

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer — my Father God and the One who meets all my needs.

 

No comments: