April 7, 2022

Living in a frightening world . . .

 

 

READ Psalm 1-5

This morning’s news is the same as yesterday: “The six-week-old war has forced more than 4 million people to flee Ukraine, destroyed cities and prompted a slew of Western restrictions on Russian elites and the economy. Russia has denied targeting civilians and said Ukraine and its Western backers are gripped by discriminatory anti-Russian paranoia.”

Bad news like this often turns me to Psalm 2 for assurance and I’ve used it to calm others who are fearful for the world’s future. Not to deny that current events could lead to something worse and more widespread, but the truth is that God is still in charge.

Why do the nations rage and the peoples plot in vain? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord and against his Anointed, saying, “Let us burst their bonds apart and cast away their cords from us.” He who sits in the heavens laughs; the Lord holds them in derision. Then he will speak to them in his wrath, and terrify them in his fury, saying, “As for me, I have set my King on Zion, my holy hill.” I will tell of the decree: The Lord said to me, “You are my Son; today I have begotten you. Ask of me, and I will make the nations your heritage, and the ends of the earth your possession. You shall break them with a rod of iron and dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel.” Now therefore, O kings, be wise; be warned, O rulers of the earth. Serve the Lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling. Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and you perish in the way, for his wrath is quickly kindled. Blessed are all who take refuge in him. (Psalm 2:1–12)

It is easy to fret about bad news but futile to stew over a war that I cannot do anything about. As if worry will fix it? The psalmist (likely David for all five) had all sorts of troubles. His own son threatened his life yet he was a man after God’s own heart and knew that no mattered what happened, those who trust the Lord are in His remarkable care:

I lay down and slept; I woke again, for the Lord sustained me. I will not be afraid of many thousands of people who have set themselves against me all around. (Psalm 3:5–6)

Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness! You have given me relief when I was in distress. Be gracious to me and hear my prayer! (Psalm 4:1)

In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety. (Psalm 4:8)

He could sleep at night. But this does not mean sleeping when shells are exploding all around; it means a calmness that comes with trust even in the midst of great danger. Outer horrors are not incompatible with the peace of God that passes understanding for those who understand that evil will not prevail. Only God prevails.

The boastful shall not stand before your eyes; you hate all evildoers. You destroy those who speak lies; the Lord abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful man. (Psalm 5:5–6)

This may not be immediate, but in the end of things, God’s will will be done. The worst that can happen is giving in to fear and letting those who lie and destroy ruin that confidence. Even if their weapons find their mark, the people who trust the Lord are immediately with Him. Is that such a horrible thing?

But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them ever sing for joy, and spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may exult in you. For you bless the righteous, O Lord; you cover him with favor as with a shield. (Psalm 5:11–12)

I know — this is easy for me to say sitting at a desk with nothing more than the noise of traffic and the construction of a high-rise outside the window and the calm voice of an announcer covering the Masters golf event in the background. Yet this is the Word of God speaking, not my authority or experience. He never lies. For reasons unknown, He seems to allow the evils in our world to run unchecked but never fear; He is able to do all of the above and then some!

Lord God, trusting You makes sense to me. The other options do not. Keep my heart focused on You, even in this messy and very scary place.

 

No comments: