April 25, 2022

Surprises small and large . . .

 

 

READ Psalm 91–95

Many times I’ve declared how I love God’s surprises. He does both huge and small things that cause me to shake my head in wonder. Today I prayed to see ‘more of Jesus’ in His word. He surprised me with commendation for a deep desire to stay close to Him. These words were given to the psalmist yet I heard His voice in them and felt incredibly blessed:

Because you have made the Lord your dwelling place— the Most High, who is my refuge— no evil shall be allowed to befall you, no plague come near your tent. (Psalm 91:9–10)

The author is not named nor do these passages tell who God is speaking to. I’ve read them many times and not associated them to myself, but today His gentle voice tell gave me a personal blessing — a blessing that I did not earn or deserve. He says:

Because (you) hold fast to me in love, I will deliver (you); I will protect (you), because you know my name. When (you) call to me, I will answer (you); I will be with (you) in trouble; I will rescue (you) and honor (you). With long life I will satisfy (you) and show (you) my salvation.” (Psalm 91:14–16)

This is one of those days where I feel my age, but God says of His people: “They still bear fruit in old age; they are ever full of sap and green, to declare that the Lord is upright; he is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in him” (Psalm 92:14–15) and I am humbled that He gets inside my head and persists to tell me that He knows my big and small fears and will keep on taking care of me, even using me to glorify Him. That is such a blessing to a soul that often feels useless.

And He adds more through the psalmist who realizes the value of continued growth and discipline. There is no retirement for the people of God, only increasing in godliness and in doing His will:

Blessed is the man whom you discipline, O Lord, and whom you teach out of your law, to give him rest from days of trouble, until a pit is dug for the wicked. For the Lord will not forsake his people; he will not abandon his heritage; for justice will return to the righteous, and all the upright in heart will follow it. (Psalm 94:12–15)

The Lord’s assignments are not always easy. Yesterday after church we were approached by a man who could not speak English very well but has a serious family problem and was concerned, even distraught, for the lives of his children. We prayed, called out to others, found someone who could speak his language and suggest resources. We felt his concern, but also helpless. Today, the psalmist says:

Who rises up for me against the wicked? Who stands up for me against evildoers? If the Lord had not been my help, my soul would soon have lived in the land of silence. When I thought, “My foot slips,” your steadfast love, O Lord, held me up. When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul. (Psalm 94:16–19)

I had an odd and vivid dream last night about a funeral and woke up unable to shake my emotions. However, a song of praise came to mind and the words quickly settled my heart. The same ‘cure’ came from today’s reading and again a pointed word from God:

Oh come, let us sing to the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation! Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise! For the Lord is a great God, and a great King above all gods . . . . Oh come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before the Lord, our Maker! For he is our God, and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand . . . . (Psalm 95:1–3; 6–8)

God speaks to every need. How can I not consider Him “my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge” (Psalm 94:22) when He keeps speaking to everything that happens in my life? Such an amazing Savior and Lord!

 

No comments: