April 18, 2022

His Name is my life . . .

 

 

READ Psalm 56–60

 This week someone posted an astonishing thought on social media that I had to check out. It was written by Sandra Thurman Caporale and searching for her name will show the entire piece. It begins with:

There was a moment when Moses had the nerve to ask God what his name is. God was gracious enough to answer, and the name he gave is recorded in the original Hebrew as YHWH. Over time we’ve arbitrarily added an “a” and an “e” in there to get YaHWeH, presumably because we have a preference for vowels. But scholars and Rabi’s have noted that the letters YHWH represent breathing sounds, or aspirated consonants. When pronounced without intervening vowels, it actually sounds like breathing. YH (inhale): WH (exhale). So a baby’s first cry, his first breath, speaks the name of God . . .  

The realization that breathing likely says the name of God has had an effect on me and on my worship. It has also deepened my breathing! I also found a song by Jason Day called The Sound of Our Breathing. For these reasons, today’s reading seems to pop with those verses that praise God. Caporale’s words suggest that this happens with every breath and just the idea of breathing His Name fills my heart with a delightful joy. Add to that two powerful messages in two Easter services and wonderful fellowship with God’s family, plus the video of Day’s song, how can I not say these things with David?

When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me? (Psalm 56:3–4)  

The worst anyone could do, supposedly, is end my life — but when I stop breathing His Name, I am in His presence. How opposite is that from being the ‘worst’ thing!

I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations. For your steadfast love is great to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds. Be exalted, O God, above the heavens! Let your glory be over all the earth! (Psalm 57:9–11)

My place in life and on this planet does not give me direct access to the nations but I can sing praises to the Lord through the worldwide web and in my church, and to my family and friends and neighbors, and most of all, anytime to Him, even by just breathing. His Name is my very life. What a wonderful God!

O my Strength, I will sing praises to you, for you, O God, are my fortress, the God who shows me steadfast love. (Psalm 59:17)

God is also where I run when anything threatens. The dictionary says a fortress is a military stronghold, but it also says it is ‘a person or thing not susceptible to outside influence or disturbance’ and that is an apt description of God. Nothing rattles Him. When I am rattled, particularly when I feel rejected or unloved, He is the One who rescues and protects me. His love is steadfast, never changing, always there for me.

Oh, grant us help against the foe, for vain is the salvation of man! With God we shall do valiantly; it is he who will tread down our foes. (Psalm 60:11–12)

God also deals with all threats. They might not come from literal foes. I can be guilty of stinkin’ thinkin’ — making myself my own worst enemy. Besides that, the world around me consistently argues against faith in God. Other threats are often suggestions that I trust something other than the Lord, even myself . . . but that is vain, useless, not worthy compared to the One who supplies all my needs — the One who created me with His own name in my every breath! Praise His holy Name!

 

No comments: