April 23, 2022

The answer is in the bigger picture . . .

 

 

READ Psalm 81–85

On my walk through the nearby wildlife sanctuary, I noticed buds on trees, little birds singing, the details of new life along the path. Only once did I stop and survey the bigger picture of a large valley, the sky and the vista before me.

I’m like that reading the Bible, seeing the details, trying to figure out the big picture by the small verses. However, the Lord gave me an eternal perspective as I wondered what news I’d hear today about the war in Europe. His Spirit spoke quietly to my spirit: “Those who belong to me and die are now with me; those who rejected me are now facing justice for their unbelief.”

This thought settled my anxiety. In the big picture, all will die. Some by ill health, accidents, some by the sword or bombs or bullets. No one escapes death — but it is possible to escape eternal judgment. This is the good news of the Gospel of faith in Jesus Christ. Right now, the division is being made on a battlefield, but it is also made in every hospital, every workplace, every city, every home, even every heart and every day. Today’s reading gives short descriptions of it, just as will every newspaper, newscast, and obituary column.

But my people did not listen to my voice; Israel would not submit to me. So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts, to follow their own counsels. Oh, that my people would listen to me, that Israel would walk in my ways! I would soon subdue their enemies and turn my hand against their foes. (Psalm 81:11–14)

Is not the above being played out in the world even today? Those who say “NO” to God are left to their own devices and the result is power struggles, greed, confusion, and unkindness to one another. Some aspire to good deeds that eventually give in to the human sinfulness hiding in their ambitions and those who know the Lord wonder when all this nonsense will end:

“How long will you judge unjustly and show partiality to the wicked? Selah Give justice to the weak and the fatherless; maintain the right of the afflicted and the destitute. Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.” They have neither knowledge nor understanding, they walk about in darkness; all the foundations of the earth are shaken. (Psalm 82:2–5)

In my distress over the evil in the world and the sin that sometimes grabs hold of my own heart, I’ve prayed something like the psalmist prayed:

“O God, do not keep silence; do not hold your peace or be still, O God! For behold, your enemies make an uproar; those who hate you have raised their heads. They lay crafty plans against your people; they consult together against your treasured ones. They say, ‘Come, let us wipe them out as a nation; let the name of Israel (or any other nation) be remembered no more!’” . . .  “O my God, make them like whirling dust, like chaff before the wind. As fire consumes the forest, as the flame sets the mountains ablaze, so may you pursue them with your tempest and terrify them with your hurricane! Fill their faces with shame, that they may seek your name, O Lord. Let them be put to shame and dismayed forever; let them perish in disgrace, that they may know that you alone, whose name is the Lord, are the Most High over all the earth.” (Psalm 83:1–4; 13–18)

I know that “The Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly” and that He, the Lord of hosts, blesses those who trust in Him, (Psalm 84:11–12) but I also know that this is more about an eternal blessing because this life does not always serve us the perfection that we crave. The saints who are slaughtered by illness, accidents and war nevertheless are blessed by God’s favor in eternity, a forever ‘good thing’ that others will never know, no matter how ‘successful’ they might be in this short life. For this, I can trust God, even when this life is messy, not what anyone wants, and at times seems anything but a blessing.

Let me hear what God the Lord will speak, for he will speak peace to his people, to his saints; but let them not turn back to folly. Surely his salvation is near to those who fear him, that glory may dwell in our land. Steadfast love and faithfulness meet; righteousness and peace kiss each other. Faithfulness springs up from the ground, and righteousness looks down from the sky. Yes, the Lord will give what is good, and our land will yield its increase. Righteousness will go before him and make his footsteps a way. (Psalm 85:8–13)

Jesus, I trust in your promises. They may or may not show up for Your people in this life, but this life is not all there is — as You proved by defeating death and rising to live forever as my Sun and Shield, the Most High God over all the earth!

 

No comments: