April 17, 2022

Earning the right . . .

 

 

READ Psalm 51–55

On this Easter Sunday, I again praise God for sending Jesus to die for my sin, indeed for the sin of the whole world. Joy is in me, but also a burden for the millions who do not yet know Him, and know their sins are forgiven with the blessing of being His children and living in His kingdom forever. The way into that blessing is much like David’s simple prayer. He was God’s man already, but this prayer can be prayed by anyone (me too):

Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin! (Psalm 51:1–2)

As a child of God, I know my need for continual cleansing. Yesterday, I thought nasty thoughts against others and needed to confess it. David says what I must say: “Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me . . . .Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will return to you.” (Psalm 51:10; 13)

Keeping of short accounts is important. David knew it and I know it too. The psychologists say “Earn the right to speak to others” meaning gain their confidence and trust. This is important yet the example of David and the words of the NT put “earning the right” between me and God, not me and other people. It is as David says — his confession of sin and clearing things up with God result in being able to teach people about Jesus in such a way that they hear and respond by turning to Him . . .

In other words, if I have unconfessed sin in my life, I have no business telling others to come to Jesus for forgiveness because I am not doing what I tell them to do. Besides, keeping short accounts with God is a humbling thing and important. Pride in anything I do or say is a big turn-off. It can turn my message of love into preachiness and an annoying self-righteousness that denies the very truths of the message I want to convey — Jesus saves because we cannot save ourselves.

As I read these psalms, the Lord speaks to me about the difference between David’s prayers and mine. First, he is clear about the source of salvation: “O God, save me by your name, and vindicate me by your might. O God, hear my prayer; give ear to the words of my mouth.” (Psalm 54:1–2) It is not his own doing. If I share the Gospel with anyone and have a prideful, “I’m in with God and you are not” attitude, or even pray for them with that attitude, those who listen (including God) are likely not going to pay attention.

The second difference troubles me; David does not pray for the salvation of his enemies . . .

My companion stretched out his hand against his friends; he violated his covenant. His speech was smooth as butter, yet war was in his heart; his words were softer than oil, yet they were drawn swords. Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved. But you, O God, will cast them down into the pit of destruction; men of blood and treachery shall not live out half their days. But I will trust in you. (Psalm 55:20–23)

These words remind me that there are few places in the NT that say I should pray for unsaved people. Most of them are for those who already believe in Jesus. It does say to pray for those in authority and for our enemies, not that they be cast into a pit, yet there is no obvious instruction to pray for their salvation.

Lord Jesus, on this day of celebrating Your resurrection, give me deeper insight on how to pray, both for Your people and for those who resist You and even resist us. Human motivation for prayer could be way off base. Right praying requires being filled with Your Spirit, wanting Your will to be done, and keeping short accounts regarding my own sin.

 

No comments: