March 29, 2022

God’s love is not blind . . .

 

 

READ Philippians 1-4

Gary Chapman, the author of “The Love Languages” is coming to our city to speak. That has me thinking about what makes people feel loved. Sometimes this is easier to figure out by identifying what makes us feel rejected. For me, if people do not listen when I speak, I feel unloved.

And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, (Philippians 1:9–10)

This verse links abounding love to knowledge and discernment and neither of them fall out of thin air. To gain both come from an ability to listen, not just to what another person says, but to God who gives insight to what He says to me so that I can connect with others with understanding, empathy, even evaluation. Listening is about paying close attention to others, not waiting for an opportunity to express my own thoughts on the matter.

This kind of love is about an attitude that respects others. That does not mean ignoring myself, but it does mean making others a priority, just as Jesus does:

Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus . . .  (Philippians 2:3–5)

Thinking about myself instead of listening to others shows up in a particular ways. One of them is described in this passage: “Do all things without grumbling or disputing, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world . . . .” (Philippians 2:14–15) Grumbling reveals that I’m centered on ‘poor me’ as well as being a basic rejection of God’s sovereign care. If I’m going to really love others, I must drop that focus so I can put their needs ahead of my own.

An example is Timothy of whom Paul said, “For I have no one like him, who will be genuinely concerned for your welfare. For they all seek their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ.” (Philippians 2:20–21) Little wonder that he could later add, “Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us.” He warned against people who were at the opposite end of the scale, who “walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things.” (Philippians 3:17–19)

Another identifier of those who love like Jesus loves is the ability to deal with anxiety so they are at peace and set free to think about the needs of others rather than be twisted up with worry over their own problems. To this, God’s Word says:

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:4–7)

Then this passage adds how to think. This appeals to me because I know that thinking the right way leads to speaking and living as God wants me to live. I cannot have bad thoughts without them coming out of my mouth or showing up in what I do!

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you. (Philippians 4:8–9)

Finally, another attitude that sets me free to love is contentment. If I’m always wanting something or more of something, it can turn into whining, not caring for others, like a child always yanking on mom’s skirt. Instead, this is about learning contentment in all situations and circumstances, and discovering I can face anything because Christ gives me strength (Philippians 4:11–13), knowing He supplies all my needs (Philippians 4:19).

Lord God, loving others involves actions yet the actions do not come out of a vacuum but out of a heart that is focused on You and on the truths found in Your Word. Love is a product of the Holy Spirit and Your love, yet it is also a discipline of refusing to give in to selfishness so my focus is on others and so Your love has space in my heart where it can flow out to them.

 

No comments: