March 9, 2022

Conquer the Seven Deadliest

 

 

READ Proverbs 5-8

In Scripture, death is about separation. It can refer to physical death in which life and the body are separated. It can also refer to spiritual death in which people are separated from God and not ‘alive’ to Him but in darkness regarding spiritual truth.

In Scripture, the Laws of God are often thought of as strict rules that inhibit the enjoyment of life, but that notion totally misses it. God created us and like anyone who creates anything, He knows what will ruin our lives and lead to death, spiritual and physical or both.

And the Lord commanded us to do all these statutes, to fear the Lord our God, for our good always, that he might preserve us alive, as we are this day. (Deuteronomy 6:24)

I will give them one heart and one way, that they may fear me forever, for their own good and the good of their children after them . . . . I will rejoice in doing them good . . . .” (Jeremiah 32:39-41)

Scripture speaks of sins that lead to death and a list has been made called the Seven Deadly Sins. This list comes from biblical statements about their danger to us, and even though the average person does not see the danger in dabbling in them, the danger is there. Sin always separates people from God. This is eternal for those who do not seek redemption, but even Christians who mess with sin lose fellowship with their Savior until they repent and abandon that sin. Continuing in it could lead to physical death. Two examples:

LUST is the context for these warnings:

The iniquities of the wicked ensnare him, and he is held fast in the cords of his sin. He dies for lack of discipline, and because of his great folly he is led astray. (Proverbs 5:22–23)

He who commits adultery lacks sense; he who does it destroys himself. He will get wounds and dishonor, and his disgrace will not be wiped away. (Proverbs 6:32–33)

With much seductive speech she persuades him; with her smooth talk she compels him. All at once he follows her, as an ox goes to the slaughter, or as a stag is caught fast till an arrow pierces its liver; as a bird rushes into a snare; he does not know that it will cost him his life. (Proverbs 7:21–23)

SLOTH or laziness is another of the seven:

How long will you lie there, O sluggard? When will you arise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest, and poverty will come upon you like a robber, and want like an armed man. (Proverbs 6:9–11)

Several of the seven can combine and be seen in . . .

A worthless person, a wicked man, goes about with crooked speech, winks with his eyes, signals with his feet, points with his finger, with perverted heart devises evil, continually sowing discord; therefore calamity will come upon him suddenly; in a moment he will be broken beyond healing. (Proverbs 6:12–15)

Playing in traffic could be safe for a while, even a long time, but the danger is there, not just in the activity but in the defiant self-confidence of those who break God’s commands. Thinking my way and my ideas are safe is folly, not because God is trying to reign over me and ruin my ‘fun’ but because those sins are called “deadly” for good reason.

Living according to the instruction manual God gave for His creation is the same principle of using the instruction manual for anything. If I don’t oil my sewing machine, or update my computer, or put the right type of gasoline in my car, eventually those things will break down and be useless. This is why God’s Word is not only practical for life, it is vital!

“And now, O sons, listen to me: blessed are those who keep my ways. Hear instruction and be wise, and do not neglect it. Blessed is the one who listens to me, watching daily at my gates, waiting beside my doors. For whoever finds me finds life and obtains favor from the Lord, but he who fails to find me injures himself; all who hate me love death.” (Proverbs 8:32–36)

Jesus, keep my mind on Your will today. Help me to spot temptations and avoid all thoughts that lead to saying and doing anything that puts me on that slippery slope of disobedience. Keep me focused on the opposite of that deadly list, on humility, generosity, chastity, gratitude, temperance, patience, and discipline by filling me with your precious Spirit.

 

No comments: