March 11, 2022

Let God do the talking . . .

 

 

READ Proverbs 13-16

With Ukraine on my heart and visions from television news of the atrocities happening there, the Lord gave me a couple verses of assurance. He is hearing the prayers of the world for justice. I know these are proverbs, not promises, but they echo the heart of God expressed throughout His Word. While we don’t yet understand what is going on, He says . . .

The Lord has made everything for its purpose, even the wicked for the day of trouble. Everyone who is arrogant in heart is an abomination to the Lord; be assured, he will not go unpunished. (Proverbs 16:4–5)

I’m comforted that God does have a purpose and even though this evil has been allowed for reasons that I cannot see, anyone who assumes they are powerful and unstoppable must answer to Him.

As for the rest of this reading, I kept noticing what it says about the power and problems we have with our talk. Guarding my speech is always a challenge. As my grandson said on my recent birthday, I have reached an age where I can say whatever I want — meaning ‘little old ladies’ don’t care if our words are not well received. That is true to a point. I am bolder, but a careless tongue is not good for me or for those who hear me blab on.

God’s Word can change lives and we are created in His image. That is a hint that our words can be powerful, yet I know that I can say stuff that is useless or even harmful. Here are a few warnings to be wise with words.

Watch what I say. Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life; he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin. (Proverbs 13:3) In other words, age does not give me license to say whatever comes to mind. Instead, I must let the Spirit of God tell me when to speak and when to shut up.

Never tell lies. A faithful witness does not lie, but a false witness breathes out lies . . . . A truthful witness saves lives, but one who breathes out lies is deceitful. (Proverbs 14:5;25) Truth may hurt, but it does have the ability to change lives. On the other hand, lies reinforces whatever Satan is doing to keep needy sinners under his thumb. Because lies are his tool, they should never be on my lips.

Better to be busy than yak all day. In all toil there is profit, but mere talk tends only to poverty. (Proverbs 14:23) In other words, sweeping the floor could be more important than visiting on my phone.

The right response is powerful, but so are the wrong words. A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger . . . . The tongue of the wise commends knowledge, but the mouths of fools pour out folly . . . . A gentle tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit . . . . The lips of the wise spread knowledge; not so the hearts of fools . . . . . To make an apt answer is a joy to a man, and a word in season, how good it is! (Proverbs 15:1;4;7;23)

The heart of the wise makes his speech judicious and adds persuasiveness to his lips. Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body. . . . A dishonest man spreads strife, and a whisperer separates close friends. (Proverbs 16:23-24;28) Truth and the fruit of the Spirit is a blessing for others. Gossip, lies, and thoughtless words are not.

How I talk reveals who I am. The heart of him who has understanding seeks knowledge, but the mouths of fools feed on folly . . . . The thoughts of the wicked are an abomination to the Lord, but gracious words are pure . . . . The heart of the righteous ponders how to answer, but the mouth of the wicked pours out evil things . . . . Whoever ignores instruction despises himself, but he who listens to reproof gains intelligence. (Proverbs 15:14;26;28;32) I would much rather my words reveal Jesus in me than have them reveal the self-centered, sinful person that Jesus saved.

If I am wise, I will let the Lord do the talking. The plans of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the Lord. (Proverbs 16:1) and When they deliver you over, do not be anxious how you are to speak or what you are to say, for what you are to say will be given to you in that hour. For it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you. (Matthew 10:19–20) This requires being filled with the Spirit, and that requires obedience and humility as well as keeping short accounts concerning sin.

The NT warns about the power of the tongue — for good and for evil. It says that no one can tame it. But it also says God can use it if we admit our inability and let Him be the controlling factor. Far better that God speaks than saying whatever comes into my mind.

 

2 comments:

Sandi said...

Wise words here, Elsie. 💕 I appreciate it. I have heard too many people speak about what's going on in ways that are harmful or at least not helpful. It digs into the heart. Bless you.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Thank you, Sandi. I'm praying He will speak and I will listen, and for others too. Our world is so needy for Jesus!