March 13, 2022

It is also a spiritual war . . .

 

 

READ Proverbs 21-24

The violence in Ukraine is constantly on my heart. Television news is distressing; I cannot watch it. My faith in humanity never has been strong, but with a lifetime of relative world peace, this conflict shakes it even more.

Today’s reading is typical Proverbs — all over the map, but a few verses stand out as relative to the situation and to my emotions and thoughts about it. As with many others, I want the injustice to stop and righteousness to prevail. This desire fits with the will of God: “To do righteousness and justice is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice.” (Proverbs 21:3)

Yet the violence continues. Where is God? I found some answers to that in these verses:

The violence of the wicked will sweep them away, because they refuse to do what is just. (Proverbs 21:7)

No wisdom, no understanding, no counsel can avail against the Lord. (Proverbs 21:30)

Take counsel together, but it will come to nothing; speak a word, but it will not stand, for God is with us. (Isaiah 8:10)

His timing is not mine nor do I understand why He has allowed such ungodly violence. Yet God is at work, whether His work is visible or not. He gives me a mild rebuke for my doubts and lack of trust:

Incline your ear, and hear the words of the wise, and apply your heart to my knowledge, for it will be pleasant if you keep them within you, if all of them are ready on your lips. That your trust may be in the Lord, I have made them known to you today, even to you. Have I not written for you thirty sayings of counsel and knowledge, to make you know what is right and true, that you may give a true answer to those who sent you? (Proverbs 22:17–21)

He also offers this truism that echoes the desires in much of the world: “When justice is done, it is a joy to the righteous but terror to evildoers.” (Proverbs 21:15) This is not a promise, only a proverb, but it comes across to me as a promise — joy will come to those who cry out against this injustice and God will deal with those who do evil.

These also are sayings of the wise. Partiality in judging is not good. Whoever says to the wicked, “You are in the right,” will be cursed by peoples, abhorred by nations, but those who rebuke the wicked will have delight, and a good blessing will come upon them. (Proverbs 24:23–25)

I am to rebuke those who are evil. God also speaks to my lack of confidence and gives me something more to do: “If you faint in the day of adversity, your strength is small. Rescue those who are being taken away to death; hold back those who are stumbling to the slaughter.” (Proverbs 24:10-11) These verses repeat what God says in many other places such as Psalms and in the NT . . .

Give justice to the weak and the fatherless; maintain the right of the afflicted and the destitute. Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.” (Psalm 82:3–4)

But God also warns me about another attitude toward those who have initiated this unjust conflict:

Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles, lest the Lord see it and be displeased, and turn away his anger from him. Fret not yourself because of evildoers, and be not envious of the wicked, for the evil man has no future; the lamp of the wicked will be put out . . . . fear the Lord and the king, and do not join with those who do otherwise, for disaster will arise suddenly from them, and who knows the ruin that will come from them both? (Proverbs 24:17–22)

I agree wholeheartedly. When evil is viewed as blameless, a society begins to crumple. Many empires and world powers have fallen when greed and unjust behavior became the center of their government. This is a spiritual principal that armies and determination cannot overcome.

Yet I must remember that I cannot judge wisely and need a standard — the Word of God. He reveals His mind and gives direction in the Bible and through submission to the Holy Spirit. Obedience puts a stamp on what He says . . . and in this case, the rebuking part is much easier than rescuing the needy even though both are on the other side of the world. Lord God, I am open to whatever direction You will give me that I might do my part to see that justice is done and true righteousness is demonstrated in this shocking and distressful event.

 

No comments: