March 28, 2022

Nothing else will do it . . .

 

 

READ: Ephesians 1-6

I’ve been annoyed with a person who answers everyone, not just me, with stuff about herself. Yesterday I wondered if her failure to be interested in others was God’s way of showing me that I am like that also. So I asked Jesus to show me what I need to hear from His Word. He revealed something else that was a surprise and a blessing. Here are the verses He used:

I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places . . . . (Ephesians 1:16–23)

From this, He says that I need to remember what God has given me. I don’t need to rely on others to give me what Christ has already given. Then He pointed to this passage:

For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. (Ephesians 3:14–19)

This passage says my need is to be rooted and grounded in His love and be filled with His fullness. I know that is true; I don’t need to rely on others for love. Christ has given me every bit of love that I need! Then He stopped me again at the next two verses:

Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Ephesians 3:20–21)

These words are ‘according to’ —link two ideas. That is, there is a connection between answered prayer and my spiritual life. If I am praying for something and God seems deaf, it could be that He is wanting me to change: either to be better equipped to handle the answer, or to get out of His way, or that I must do something or change before He will work accordingly in whatever I am praying for. I thought it was about seeing my own sin in that person, but He went deeper by telling me His love is sufficient and I don’t need to be loved by others to know that is true. Just rely on His supply.

The passage does tell me how to behave toward others, including those who do not seem to care about me. I’m to walk worthy of my calling with humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love . . . and Let no corrupting talk come out of my mouth, but only such as is good for building up . . . that it may give grace to those who hear. I’m not to grieve the Holy Spirit but let go of all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander along with all malice and be kind to others, tenderhearted, forgiving others as God in Christ forgave me.” (Ephesians 4:4:1-3; 29–32)

However, the reading goes on to say I can do none of this without being “filled with the Spirit” and “giving thanks always and for everything” in “reverence for Christ.” (Ephesians 5:18–21) This includes wearing God’s spiritual armor so I can speak as I ought to speak (Ephesians 6:17–20), and loving even selfish people as I ought to love, not because I’m particularly good at it, but because Jesus loves me — I do not need this person’s loving attention. She can be unloving without taking away the reality that Jesus loves me!

Lord Jesus, we sing how Your steadfast love is better than life. Nothing else will do. Nothing else will fill the God-shaped vacuum in my heart. Forgive me for wanting human love or anything else to fill that place. None of it satisfies anyway. Grant me grace to be totally satisfied with You and Your great love for me . . . because loving those who seem unable to love is beyond my ability.

 

No comments: