March 19, 2022

Agreeing with God . . .

 

 

READ Romans 13-16

In the OT when the people sinned, they were to confess to the priest and he made a sacrifice to atone for their sin. This was temporary yet pointed to a coming Messiah who would offer a better way. This is fully described in the NT, particularly in passages like this:

For since the law has but a shadow of the good things to come instead of the true form of these realities, it can never, by the same sacrifices that are continually offered every year, make perfect those who draw near. Otherwise, would they not have ceased to be offered, since the worshipers, having once been cleansed, would no longer have any consciousness of sins? But in these sacrifices there is a reminder of sins every year. (Hebrews 10:1–3)

Continual confession and sacrifice did not last, only the redemption offered in Christ lasts: “Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful.” (Hebrews 10:19–23)

I’m drawn to these verses because today’s reading makes it clear that confession and forgiveness for sin is no longer about a human priest, for it is written,

“As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.” So then each of us will give an account of himself to God. (Romans 14:11–12)

This says several things. In context, it gives me no right to judge anyone because people are not accountable to me; they are accountable to God. Judging others is God-playing and a sin.

This verse also makes it clear that sin is against God. Yes, we sin against others, yet when David confessed his adultery and the murder of another man, he said:

For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgment. Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me. (Psalm 51:3–5)

Certainly, the NT tells us to confess to those whom we have sinned against, and forgive those who confess sinning against us, but it does not tell us to broadcast our confessions nor take them to others who are not victims of our sin. Our sin is against God and it is God who holds us accountable.

So what do I do when a Christian sins? The NT says this:

Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. But let each one test his own work, and then his reason to boast will be in himself alone and not in his neighbor. For each will have to bear his own load. (Galatians 6:1–5)

My own life needs to be in order if I want to help a person turn from sin. Even hearing another’s confession and bearing that burden can stir up various temptations. Thinking I am strong enough to be a Christ-figure to help others can lead to pride so I must test myself rather than take on such a task. I could hear them out and not handle it as Christ does. He would never shame that person, or gossip about their sin, or look down on them for what they did, but I realize that I might. If they are victorious, I might put myself on a pedestal instead of giving Jesus the glory that is due Him. For those reasons, each person is to bear their own load. That suggests that each of us be responsible to bear our own sin and not easily take responsibility for the sin of others.

James 5:16 says, "Confess your sins to one another ... that you may be healed." This is about getting things right with others, about healing relationships as well as dealing with the reality that sin can make us sick. The psalmist described what can happen when sin is bottled up: "I kept my sin in and my bones wasted away" (Psalm 32:3).

But that does not mean I need to broadcast to the whole world my specific sins. That wouldn’t be good for others, and it wouldn’t be good for me. While I need to be  known as an open book, not a secretive or hypocritical person who has “put away falsehood . . . .” I’m to “speaks the truth” (Ephesians 4:25) which  includes truth about everything, not just my quirks, foibles and sins, but about the wonder of God’s work in my life.

 

No comments: