March 1, 2022

Oh my, I would never have thought of that . . .

 

 

READ Job 33-36

When calling others for help about any situation, the story of Job instructs that even the most well-meaning of counselors may rely on their own experience and understanding without first seeking God’s input. Why is that?

My experience tells me that God’s input is startling, not what I expected, and sometimes seems outlandish. My own ideas are not evil. They may seem to suit the situation, but God’s counsel is radically different.

Example. Our son was threatened by two older boys in junior high school. They wanted a physical altercation to show their superiority. He told me and I prayed. An idea came from the Lord and it was not what either my son or myself expected. He was to tell the boys how much trouble he would be in at home if he fought at school, but it was okay to fight after school, in our garage, with boxing gloves. My son was appalled. However, God added one more instruction: the boys would be invited inside for milk and cookies before the contest began. Of course this plan worked. It never even got past the invitation stage and the conflict was over.

Job’s friends, including the young man who said he wanted to “justify” him, could not accept that God had any other reason for this man’s predicament than punishing him for sin. Their ‘advice’ was, for the most part, appropriate for such a situation, but it did not fit Job. The unseen scenario of Satan’s accusation that Job would not trust God if He stopped blessing him remained unseen. Would God have shared that with those ‘friends’ had they been humble enough to ask instead of saying things like:

“Behold, God does all these things, twice, three times, with a man, to bring back his soul from the pit, that he may be lighted with the light of life. Pay attention, O Job, listen to me; be silent, and I will speak. If you have any words, answer me; speak, for I desire to justify you. If not, listen to me; be silent, and I will teach you wisdom.” (Job 33:29–33)

Let us choose what is right; let us know among ourselves what is good. For Job has said, ‘I am in the right, and God has taken away my right; in spite of my right I am counted a liar; my wound is incurable, though I am without transgression.’ What man is like Job, who drinks up scoffing like water, who travels in company with evildoers and walks with wicked men? For he has said, ‘It profits a man nothing that he should take delight in God.’ (Job 34:4–9)

‘Job speaks without knowledge; his words are without insight.’ Would that Job were tried to the end, because he answers like wicked men. For he adds rebellion to his sin; he claps his hands among us and multiplies his words against God.” (Job 34:35–37)

“Job opens his mouth in empty talk; he multiplies words without knowledge.” (Job 35:16)

“I will get my knowledge from afar and ascribe righteousness to my Maker. For truly my words are not false; one who is perfect in knowledge is with you.” (Job 36:3–4)

Not once did these ‘friends’ tell Job that they had no clue why the Lord was silent, or why this man was suffering even though he had done nothing to warrant it. Not once did they tell him they would pray and ask the Lord for answers. Instead, they claimed to know it all, to be wise, to have wisdom even without pleading with God for it. In their minds, their assumptions were all they needed.

Some Christians have the spiritual gift of discernment. This gift requires great caution. It is easy to put together reasons for the behavior of others without knowing the full story. Even when the story is known, it is easy to assume knowledge of how to counsel or what to do about it without first asking God. And since God’s ways are higher than our ways, when the answer comes it is easy to dismiss it as ‘impossible’ or folly of some sort. (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Two examples: Elisha’s servant was filled with fear when he saw the enemy forces all around the city. Elisha said, “Do not be afraid, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them.” Then he prayed, “O Lord, please open his eyes that he may see.” The Lord opened the eyes of the servant and he saw the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha who then prayed, “Please strike this people with blindness” and God did just that. (2 Kings 6:15–18) God was asked to show that servant His mighty resources.

Sin ruined lives. Trying harder didn’t work. God sent Jesus who was delivered up according to His definite plan and foreknowledge and He was crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men so that sinners could be redeemed. (Acts 2:23) God’s plan made no sense to many who witnessed it.

God is far more creative than my imagination. I cannot let preconceived notions or what seems wise interfere with what He says or tells me to do. Learning to listen and obey is vital to living according to His will!

 

No comments: