March 6, 2022

What to do about the bad news

 

 

READ John 13-16

The world is in a mess. Christians are slaughtered by the hundreds in many countries. Central Europe is hearing the sounds of war. Conflict and strife in the news and closer to home are sources of anxiety and stress. I tend to notice doom and gloom more than most and for that reason, good news is joyfully welcomed.

Today’s reading tells of Jesus preparing His disciples for His death and giving them instructions for life after that event. They have trouble believing it will happen. I feel their sorrow as they realize what He is telling them. Yet there are bright spots in His words. I welcomed reading today His promises regarding prayer.

“Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.” (John 14:12–14)

Here Jesus links faith in Him to doing great things, both tied to a motivation that God is glorified. I ask in His name as His redeemed child, not in my own name because that would reflect personal wants and wishes. In other words, prayer that gets answers from God is about praying in His will, not my own.

“If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.” (John 15:7–8)

This promise hinges on staying, living, abiding in Christ, making Him my focus. It includes knowing His words, having them first and foremost in my thoughts and letting them motivate my prayers and be the basis for whatever I do and whatever I wish for. His promise also is tied to fruit-bearing. That is, the Holy Spirit must be in charge so that I’m filled with what He produces and am obviously a disciple of Jesus Christ.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. (Galatians 5:22–24)

Fruit like this is not produced by anyone living without Jesus. When I do life my own way, I fail continually. Only by abiding in Christ can these actions show up in me, and Jesus ties that kind of life to getting answers to prayer. This is important; He repeats it:

“You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. These things I command you, so that you will love one another.” (John 15:16–17)

This adds that He picked me and gave me a responsibility to be fruitful, living in the power of the Holy Spirit so I can pray effectively, and so I can love others as He commands.

So also you have sorrow now, but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you. In that day you will ask nothing of me. Truly, truly, I say to you, whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you. Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full. (John 16:22–24)

Jesus knew His disciples would be broken-hearted when He was put to death, but He also knew how they would react when He rose from the dead. He told them their praying would be different after that. Instead of asking Him about everything, they would have direct access to the Father — and that would give them fullness of joy. This is just a taste of what He meant when He said: “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6) speaking of both this life and the life to come. He repeats that thought again:

In that day you will ask in my name, and I do not say to you that I will ask the Father on your behalf; for the Father himself loves you, because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God. (John 16:26–27)

This is about relationship. They knew Jesus and He told them that because they saw Him, they also saw the Father (14:9). Yet His death, resurrection, and ascension would give them access to the very throne of God. This gives me direction for today and for dealing with all that bad news: “Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” (Hebrews 4:16)

 

No comments: