March 7, 2022

Praying like Jesus prays

 

READ John 17-21

Yesterday’s devotion about prayer resulted in a spiritual attack in which I felt guilty of everything and yet nothing was named. This is one of Satan’s strategies to keep me from praying. I struggled all day, was angry at nothing and had no ambition to do anything. Finally I prayed that if this was from the Lord, I would accept it, but if not, that He would put a stop to it. He did.

Prayer is the weapon of the saints. Satan will do whatever he can to disarm God’s people. He knows that we are wonderfully and powerfully able to “toss mountains into the sea” and to break his power over events and people who are in his grasp. It is with great emotion and a plea for God’s protection that I read the high priestly prayer of Jesus this morning and see the instruction in it for my own prayers.

Jesus begins with a request to be glorified. He finished what God sent Him to do and made the Father known to those given to Him. His next words are significant.

“For I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours.” (John 17:8–9)

I tend to pray much for the world; it is in such a mess, but Jesus prayed for His people. He said not one was lost and wanted each one to be filled with His joy. He wanted all who believe to be sanctified, meaning to be set apart for Him and increasing in godliness to be like Him. This happens through knowing the truth, knowing God’s Word.

He also prayed we would be left here, sent like He was sent yet kept from the evil one, protected from His schemes, lies, and destructive power. He prayed for our unity for that is our major witness that He was in this world. He also prayed for those who would believe because of our testimony as we share His Word with others:

“I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me.” (John 17:20–23)

Jesus prayed that our presence would be with Him, not in heaven (yet) but recognizing the reality that He is with us that we might be aware of His glory. He said:

Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world. O righteous Father, even though the world does not know you, I know you, and these know that you have sent me. I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.” (John 17:24–26)

The bottom line is that the people of God would be filled with the love of God, implying that His love would motivate all that we do. To help us, Jesus would make God known to us continually and in such a way that His love would shine out of our lives.

Reading this, and yesterday’s battle after writing about the power of praying in the name of Jesus, I realize the power of praying as Jesus prayed. This list of Jesus’ requests are God’s will for Christians and to pray in God’s will and in the name of His Son puts the person and activities of our spiritual enemy in great jeopardy. He tries to stop us from praying, period, never mind praying as Jesus prayed.

Lord Jesus, please deliver me from this enemy who so easily blocks prayer, even my desire to pray. I know that You hear and answer. So does he! Keep me alert and aware so I can pray for myself and others as You pray for us. May Your people be united in this battle — with the goal that You are mightily glorified.

 

No comments: