March 22, 2022

Keeping Focus

 

 

READ 1 Corinthians 9-12

Uncle Edward was known for rabbit trails. When telling a story, sharing a joke, or describing an event, every point reminded him of something else that he added into his narration. Eventually he arrived at the point or ending but not without adding many side issues. Listening to him could be frustrating, but waiting for the point, or the punch line was always worth it.

This reading reminds me a little of Edward and the challenge of trying to summarize what is being said. On a different day, I might notice other ‘main points’ but today, this is what God says to me.

Give up rights and focus on others and their need for salvation.

Paul could have insisted that the Body of Christ support him while he served them but he worked to support himself. He also gave up personal time to reach out to others and did whatever he could to identify with them so they could hear the good news of Jesus Christ.

I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings. Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified. (1 Corinthians 9:19–27)

I am to do what God calls me to do, not focus on my choices but His calling. No room for self-indulgence!

Turn from anything frivolous (idolatry) and focus on glorifying God.

“All things are lawful,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful,” but not all things build up . . . . So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved. (1 Corinthians 10:23; 31–33)

While much of ordinary living does not involve idol worship, personal preoccupations can become idols if they become my focus for life. It has taken me years to realize and turn from the idols in my life and listen to the Lord’s direction. I’m still learning as God shows me what needs to be dropped because it distracts me from His calling and from eternal matters.

Submit to all authority for this is also a submission to God.

“But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God.” (1 Corinthians 11:3) The gist of the section on head coverings is that whatever demonstrates submission to God’s authority is important even when His directions seem difficult. This goes against my old sin nature that demands, “I will do this my way” yet submission to authority holds me in a humble dependence on God as well as showing others the importance of respecting authority.

Keep short accounts thus remembering how and why Christ died.

This comes out in the section about the Lord’s Supper. “Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself.” (1 Corinthians 11:27–29) Sin happens and it turns my focus from God to ‘lucky me’ or ‘poor me’ — with the only remedy being confession, repentance, and cleansing from the Lord. I must never neglect keeping short accounts.

Respect the gifts God gives, not as competition but as unity in diversity for the care of one another.

Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. (1 Corinthians 12:4–7)

Simple application: love others. We differ. We may not agree on the best way to serve God. However, use the gifts I have to keep my focus on serving, not wishing I had different gifts or down-grading the value of others who seem to hear to a different drumbeat. The Holy Spirit is never redundant!

I’m convicted by these words. Focus is always a challenge and no wonder — with such forces threatening to pull me off course. Thank You Father for Jesus and the Holy Spirit and for being first in my life. Keep my eyes and my heart on You this day and all my days!

 

No comments: