April 5, 2020

Dreams that God uses . . .


Leviticus 8; Psalm 9; Proverbs 23; 1 Thessalonians 2

This voluntary social distancing could make me even more self-centered. In efforts to avoid that, I’m praying more, calling people, and thinking about others and their struggles with this trial. However, last night I had another dream, this time not so pleasant as one yesterday. I dreamt we were still attending another church where we’d been for many years and where I led a Bible study for most of those years.

In the dream, I walked into the ladies’ washroom without being noticed and some of the women were talking about me. Their words were both false and unkind. I listened for a minute then left to sit in the sanctuary.

When the pastor came to preach, he’d changed the message from the regular Bible book series. Instead, he said the Lord laid on his heart to speak about gossip. He began talking and I woke up, glad yet feeling a bit hurt and betrayed. How odd, but God teaches me in dreams. I read the above four passages listening for His voice.

First, I was impressed by the command/obedience theme in Leviticus. “And Aaron and his sons did all the things that the Lord commanded by Moses.” (Leviticus 8:36) Several times I’ve heard a pastor say that God changed his sermon plan. In my dream, not only did the ladies from the washroom need to hear it, but I also needed to hear that when others sin against me, God will “maintain my just cause; you have sat on the throne, giving righteous judgment.” (Psalm 9:4)

David knew oppression, unfair treatment and betrayal from those who seemed his friends. He also wrote this:

“But the Lord sits enthroned forever; he has established his throne for justice, and he judges the world with righteousness; he judges the peoples with uprightness. The Lord is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you.” (Psalm 9:7–10)

Proverbs had only a short item of advice for me. I’m not aware of any fools to whom it applies but it helps me remember that unkind words are not always deserved. As a Bible teacher, I need to remember that some people will be convicted by what I say. Instead of giving attention to God’s message, they will attack the messenger:

“Do not speak in the hearing of a fool, for he will despise the good sense of your words.” (Proverbs 23:9)

This did not happen to Paul regarding the people he taught at Thessalonica. He and those with him “worked night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you, while we proclaimed to you the gospel of God. You are witnesses, and God also, how holy and righteous and blameless was our conduct toward you believers. For you know how, like a father with his children, we exhorted each one of you and encouraged you and charged you to walk in a manner worthy of God, who calls you into his own kingdom and glory.”

These people were not the fools described in Proverbs 23:9. Paul said of them,
“And we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God, which is at work in you believers.” (1 Thessalonians 2:9–13)

Prior to that, Paul describes his attitude in the ministry he’d been given. This is extremely good advice:

“For our appeal does not spring from error or impurity or any attempt to deceive, but just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, not to please man, but to please God who tests our hearts. For we never came with words of flattery, as you know, nor with a pretext for greed—God is witness. Nor did we seek glory from people, whether from you or from others, though we could have made demands as apostles of Christ. But we were gentle among you, like a nursing mother taking care of her own children. So, being affectionately desirous of you, we were ready to share with you not only the gospel of God but also our own selves, because you had become very dear to us.” (1 Thessalonians 2:3–8)

APPLY: Pay attention to words of ‘good sense’ and make certain that what I say also contains words of good sense, given by God for me to say. Keep my motivations pure, loving others and discerning when to speak and when to be silent. Also, use the Word of God and don’t be anxious if some attack me rather than obey Him. He can deal with their needs just as He deals with mine.

No comments: