April 22, 2020

Holding God’s hand?

Leviticus 26; Psalm 33; Ecclesiastes 9; Titus 1

As a detail person, for me Bible reading is often about a single thought that jumps off the page and speaks to my need for the day. Sometimes though, God gives me a general message or a grand overview of His plan or His will. He tells me to think about the whole range of what He does rather than one small part that applies to my life.

In Leviticus, the chapter paints a big picture of what God expects from His people and how He blesses obedience and brings disaster on them when they do not obey. This is a principle, not a recipe for earning eternal life. His commands are for our good but those who reject them miss out on that good. God will use the consequences of rebellion to bring us back to a life of faith. This restoration route always includes confession and repentance before cleansing and renewal.

David’s psalm is an expression of what happens in an obedient heart. He uses these terms: shout for joy, praise, giving of thanks, making melody, singing — and these are all in the first two verses! When I am walking with Him my attitude toward Him is different. That joy is a product of faith that expresses itself in submission to Him.
Our soul waits for the Lord; he is our help and our shield. For our heart is glad in him, because we trust in his holy name. (Psalm 33:20–21)
Solomon’s wisdom in Ecclesiastes expresses his realization that everything we are and do is in God’s hands. Even though all people will die, life has advantages. In life I have opportunities for fruitful labor and enjoyment of the good blessings of God, an enjoyment that is also a gift from Him. In other words, spend life enjoying and working with God in His plan, not against Him. In this there is both pleasure and meaning as God grants wisdom to those who seek Him.
The words of the wise heard in quiet are better than the shouting of a ruler among fools. Wisdom is better than weapons of war, but one sinner destroys much good. (Ecclesiastes 9:17–18)
Titus is about the qualifications for leaders, yet Paul puts in this ‘job description’ another statement about the value of walking with God and the folly of not trusting Him and going my own way:
To the pure, all things are pure, but to the defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure; but both their minds and their consciences are defiled. They profess to know God, but they deny him by their works. They are detestable, disobedient, unfit for any good work. (Titus 1:15–16)
These passages give me a big picture admonition to listen to the Lord and do what He says. If I don’t I will miss out on blessings and suffer consequences. Those consequences are designed to draw me back to Him, but it is far better to stay there and not wander at all!

APPLY: In my interactions with people today, heeding this principle is important for my own behavior, but also a good reminder for others that may need encouragement to stay on course. As Solomon says, I’ve no idea what comes next, but ignorance of the future should help keep my focus on the One who knows what lies ahead rather than supposing I can do whatever I want. He will bless me for holding His hand.



No comments: