April 4, 2020

Honoring God’s handiwork


Leviticus 7; Psalms 7–8; Proverbs 22; 1 Thessalonians 1

Last night I dreamt I was teaching a Sunday school class, only three little girls but it was an amazing dream. I lost my lesson plan and had to wing it so asked them what made them feel important. Their answers were insightful and showed they knew the Word of God. We ended in a discussion on how to make others feel important. One of the girls was a loner and the other two soon drew her close in loving application.

Upon waking, I asked hubby what made him feel important. He said, “That Christ died for me.” Not a surprise that Leviticus 7 is about the OT sacrifices that point to Christ’s great sacrifice. This NT passage describes the wonder of it and how it makes us complete:

And every priest stands daily at his service, offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, waiting from that time until his enemies should be made a footstool for his feet. For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified. And the Holy Spirit also bears witness to us; for after saying, “This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws on their hearts, and write them on their minds,” then he adds, “I will remember their sins and their lawless deeds no more.” Where there is forgiveness of these, there is no longer any offering for sin. (Hebrews 10:11–18)

My husband also said with a great deal of humility that he felt important regarding his work because some people think that he has significant knowledge and understanding of what needs to be done. Today’s readings in Psalms and Proverbs affirm his words, that in grace, God has blessed his life with significance.

When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him? Yet you have made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor. (Psalm 8:3–5)
A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches, and favor is better than silver or gold. (Proverbs 22:1)

He didn’t add three other God-given qualities that I admire in him: generosity, purity of heart, the ability to say the right thing and as already said, outstanding skill in his work. He does not have an engineering degree or special education yet is highly respected and has had many unexpected opportunities.

Whoever has a bountiful eye will be blessed, for he shares his bread with the poor . . . . He who loves purity of heart, and whose speech is gracious, will have the king as his friend. . . . Do you see a man skillful in his work? He will stand before kings; he will not stand before obscure men. (Proverbs 22:9; 11; 29)

Wives are supposed to respect their husbands and realize their importance to God and to others. I need to do that more often. In line with what he said makes him feel important, the Lord gave me these thoughts in today’s NT reading that line up perfectly with those from the OT:

“I give thanks to God always for my hubby, constantly mentioning him in my prayers, remembering before our God and Father his work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ. For I know he is loved by God and chosen by Him because the gospel came to him not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction. I see what kind of a man he has proved to be in this family. He imitates others who are godly, pays attention to the Bible even during trials and with the joy of the Holy Spirit. He has become an example to other believers in our church and our church family. The Word of the Lord sounds forth from him in all his life. He shares his faith with others — I don’t have to urge him to do it. Others tell me of his leadership qualities and how he serves the living and true God. I know that he waits for Jesus from heaven, whom God raised from the dead, and trusts in Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come.” (1 Thessalonians 1:2–10, personalized)

APPLY: Simple. Tell this man today and more often how much I appreciate him and his Christian example!



No comments: