April 17, 2020

‘Normal’ doesn’t cut it . . .


Leviticus 21; Psalms 26–27; Ecclesiastes 4; 1 Timothy 6

This morning’s first thought was that the will of God be done. Life is not predictable, and if I didn’t believe that before, it becomes clear in these days of social distancing and death statistics. After a few weeks, many are calling for a plan, a timeline. When can we go back to work, back to ‘normal’ and get on with life? The need for money is strong, as is the need for a sense of purpose and fulfillment is not satisfied by the rules of isolation and efforts to flatten the curve.

But was ‘normal’ doing it for everyone anyway? Didn’t people have fears and uncertainties before this virus came along? Were we driven by things that didn’t seem to ever produce the results hoped for? Before Covid-19, didn’t we wonder what would satisfy the deepest longings and desires of the human heart?

This morning’s reading in the Psalms gave me a resounding amen to my desire for God’s will to be done. David wrote:

The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When evildoers assail me to eat up my flesh, my adversaries and foes, it is they who stumble and fall. Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war arise against me, yet I will be confident. One thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in his temple. For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will lift me high upon a rock. (Psalm 27:1–5)

David expressed his desire for contentment, confidence, and a rich life that is secure. He realized ‘normal’ didn’t do it. Instead, he sought the Lord, something not done very often in ‘normal’ life. He recognized that resting in God’s presence was his security. Gazing on the beauty of the Lord gave him a sense of ‘this is enough’ and he was not only content but overjoyed to be under His care.

In contrast, Solomon describes the futility that relates to ‘normal’ and is becoming more evident in this pandemic. In a culture where a person’s success has been motivated by envy, selfish greed and/or a desire for prestige, this virus threat has brought back the idea that labor back is a basic, a necessity on which our lives depend. People want to go back to work and stay alive. For many, the loss of what was giving their life meaning, even though it didn’t always do that, is too much to bear. No one wants to think that work does not work, just as isolation is not working. To face that means asking a deeper question — where will that satisfaction, sense of purpose and fulfillment come from?

David knew where. I know it too. This contentment and sense of purpose and well-being is found in the Lord God who gives it as part of the package, as part of the eternal life gained by abandoning sin and self and trusting in Him. The NT writers knew it too. This morning, I also read:

But godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs. (1 Timothy 6:6–10)

Instructions for a good life tell me to “flee these things, to pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. I am to fight the good fight of the faith (these days it is a fight) and take hold of the eternal life to which I have been called and about which I have told many others . . . .” (1 Timothy 6:11–12) It goes on:

As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life. (1 Timothy 6:17–19)

If ‘normal’ means going back to self-centered motivations for work and for life, that which cannot be found in isolation will not be found there either. It is only in seeking the face of Jesus that satisfies the empty space, the longing of the human heart. In a saving, trusting relationship with God through faith in His Son, I settle down and rest — yet every day I must seek that place of rest and not get caught up in the fears and foibles of trying to do it without Him.

APPLY: Trust Jesus. Be centered in Jesus. Talk about Him. Tell others that He is the Savior, from sin but also from fear, enemies, discontent, purposelessness, snares and uncertainties. Practice what I preach. Trust Him with all my heart — I gave Him my life and I must allow Him to do with it as He wills — a big part is loving others —  and trust His will to be perfect.

No comments: