April 25, 2020

Grace needed in this fallen world


Numbers 2; Psalm 36; Ecclesiastes 12; Philemon

Raised by loving parents and shielded from life’s realities because of childhood illness, I grew up thinking that all people were good. By high school, a few lies and betrayals shouted otherwise, but I remember thinking that it was easier to trust everyone than trying to figure out the good from the bad. After a few more years, this naïve idea of human goodness was well on its way to the opposite extreme. I began thinking that ‘no one loves you except your parents’ — something my mother often said. However, once out from under their loving protection, I knew that some parents abused their children. That is not love.

The journey to realizing human sinfulness was a reluctant one. I wanted to think everyone had something good about them. But once I understood the high standard of ‘good’ as demonstrated in God Himself, I’ve had to face an exceedingly difficult reality. As the Bible says, “None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.” (Romans 3:10–12)

The psalmist knew it. David often contrasted good and evil and prayed to God for strength to overcome evil and to protect him from evil people. He wrote:

Transgression speaks to the wicked deep in his heart; there is no fear of God before his eyes. For he flatters himself in his own eyes that his iniquity cannot be found out and hated. The words of his mouth are trouble and deceit; he has ceased to act wisely and do good. He plots trouble while on his bed; he sets himself in a way that is not good; he does not reject evil. (Psalm 36:1–4)

There are degrees of evil. Some have diagramed it this way:

Extreme wickedness <––––––––––––––– ––––––––––––––––> mature godliness



All are sinful. Those who reject God and His offer of forgiveness may appear good or terribly wicked. Either way, they cannot be godly unless the Son of God lives in them, only goodness as people define it.

Some who trust in the Lord may start out not that much different from the rest of humanity but because Jesus lives in them, they are transformed. It is a process but godliness is His goal and by His grace, growth happens.

We have many nice neighbors who are on the far side of the cross. They are not ‘wicked’ in my eyes, yet the Lord sees differently. He knows who trusts Him and He knows those who think they are wiser than Him and go their own way.

Solomon wrote in Ecclesiastes the struggle of trying to make sense of life without God and finished his book with this conclusion:

The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil. (Ecclesiastes 12:13–14)

I agree. I know my own ‘secret’ thoughts, the evil things I’ve wanted to do. I also know the many times I’ve gone my own way with the attitude that I know better than God. Putting it in words makes that sound so ridiculous, but such is the power of sin. It is that deep attitude of wanting to run my own life. I’m thankful for His grace to want change.

APPLY: These days, I’m hearing many cries for help and most of them are way beyond my ability to do anything. Yet I can pray. Praying in the will of God is vital and the above diagram is helpful. Each request needs discernment. What side of the cross is this person on? Does that person need to hear the gospel? Does this person need to know forgiveness and the power of God’s love? Perhaps that person is saved and God is using the trial to draw them nearer and they need grace and encouragement? Or do they need comfort and relief? Or is God dealing with rebellion? Or is He producing spiritual growth? The Holy Spirit is willing to show me how to pray. I must be willing to listen and to recognize that He knows the human heart, mine too. Lord, grant me insight as I bring to You the burdens on my heart.



No comments: