April 16, 2020

Temporary faith falls short


Leviticus 20; Psalm 25; Ecclesiastes 3; 1 Timothy 5

There is such a thing as ‘temporary faith’ that often shows up when trouble comes. I cry out to God for help and deliverance, but after the trial is over, I go my own way, glad things are back to normal. Talking about this in conjunction with this pandemic, a couple people have remarked that people seem to be turning to God, but the only way to tell if their ‘faith’ is genuine saving faith is after the threat is gone. Will they still call out to God and rely on Him for everything?

The problem of temporary faith is that it is all about getting out of a jam rather than dealing with sin. When I go my own way and get in trouble, the way of the Lord requires that the sin of ignoring and resisting God is confessed. Repentance is part of genuine faith but with ‘temporary faith’ it usually becomes a bargaining chip.

David’s psalm shows that he recognized the need for personal forgiveness, even when the problems of his life were caused by someone else. He asked God for mercy when in trouble, but also forgive his sins. David said:

The friendship of the Lord is for those who fear him, and he makes known to them his covenant. My eyes are ever toward the Lord, for he will pluck my feet out of the net. Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. The troubles of my heart are enlarged; bring me out of my distresses. Consider my affliction and my trouble and forgive all my sins. (Psalm 25:14–18, italics mine)

God is not a genie in a bottle. He is there for His people, but not our slave. David knew that God is God and we are mere sheep in His pasture, recipients of His kindness yet deserving wrath because of our sin.

David’s son, Solomon, also realized his place before God. He could see that even in justice and righteousness there is wickedness. Rarely does a person have pure motives and does anything without selfishness being part of it. He recognized the need for tying God’s mercy to confession of sin. He also realized that God allowed trials in our lives to show us how easily we depart from genuine faith:

I said in my heart, God will judge the righteous and the wicked, for there is a time for every matter and for every work. I said in my heart with regard to the children of man that God is testing them that they may see that they themselves are but beasts. (Ecclesiastes 3:17–18)

This is part of the good news because in realizing my sin I am given grace. Every time God blesses me with truth about my tendency to selfishness, He also blesses me with forgiveness and cleansing. This does not happen with temporary faith for that cry for deliverance is only about using God to make me more comfortable, not more godly.

Paul also recognized this truth. He wrote to Timothy about the care of widows and said this:

She who is truly a widow, left all alone, has set her hope on God and continues in supplications and prayers night and day, but she who is self-indulgent is dead even while she lives. (1 Timothy 5:5–6)

I am not a widow nor a king, but I know that God wants me to rely on Him for all this life as well as eternal life. He will comfort me in trials because He is good, not as a reward for mere temporary faith that seeks Him to get me out of trouble.

I always thought that this come-and-go faith was a trait of unbelievers but can see that I can fall into it as well. This is a sin and in grace, He provides the answer: If I confess my sins, He is faithful and just to forgive me my sins and to cleanse me from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9), whether He makes the trial go away or gives me grace to endure it!

APPLY: It is common these days to pray for relief from this pandemic, the end of the threat and a return to ‘normal’ life. Reasons for praying it vary though. Sometimes I want my life to return to normal and am thinking selfishly. Sometimes my mind is on caregivers, seniors, those without jobs and those who are struggling. Solomon said trials reveal our hearts. It does, yet at the same time, how do pity and compassion fit in? What is the will of God for this world-wide epidemic? I need to pray for His will to be done rather than ask Him to indulge my selfishness.


No comments: